Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Selling prices of older machines >

Selling prices of older machines

Selling prices of older machines

Old 06-27-2019, 01:44 PM

I recently bought a 1950 Singer Model 66 for $70 from a local thrift shop. The machine came with a complete set of attachments, a lovely cherry cabinet, and matching stool. I had to clean up the machine and cabinet and recover the stool cushion, but now I have a great sewing machine and a lovely corner table and stool. I think I got a bargain.

-Bonnie
Old 06-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

It just depends. My best deals have been “in the wild” such as an out of the way thrift store or garage sale. Sometimes it takes a lot of stops to find one
Old 07-04-2019, 03:23 AM

On this note, I have my paternal grandmothers White, Model 1065, in the cabinet with her original attachments that I need to sell. it is all metal, because in taking photos, it was heavier than I expected it to be. I don't want to overprice it, but I need to move it due to the sale of my parents house We had it out for an Estate/Garage sale this past weekend, and while a couple people looked, no one wanted it.
Does anyone have a recommendation for pricing, please?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20190630GrandmasMachine (640x360).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	614474  

Last edited by Angellight; 07-04-2019 at 03:25 AM. Reason: to add photo
Old 07-04-2019, 04:08 AM

We had a lady give us over 20 vintage machines a couple of weeks ago, including a Necchi Supernova (with attachments and cams), and a Pfaff 260 (needs a lot of work). Five of them were in cabinets. Some can be saved. Some cannot be. Several of them are post WWII Japanese machines. They are TANKS, and fun colors too!
Old 07-04-2019, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Angellight View Post
On this note, I have my paternal grandmothers White, Model 1065, in the cabinet with her original attachments that I need to sell. it is all metal, because in taking photos, it was heavier than I expected it to be. I don't want to overprice it, but I need to move it due to the sale of my parents house We had it out for an Estate/Garage sale this past weekend, and while a couple people looked, no one wanted it.
Does anyone have a recommendation for pricing, please?
anything used people will knit pick over, human nature, and I see the stitching area is nicked up. I'd try craigslist at $50.00 or best offer. If someone wants it you will probably get 35-40 which is a fair price. Lots of photos including all extras and an example of stitching. A backstory never hurts, along with an offer for "possible delivery locally". On small things like this it is seldom asked for, but it makes a warmer ad.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:12 AM

The more I have paid for any of my machines is $70 (60€)
Not two days ago, at my local thrift charity store, I found a Bernina Record 730 complete with all the accessories. it was priced 25€ ($28) but since the cord had been repaired in an odd way (yet not dangerous) the salesperson knocked 5€ off the price and told me he'll look for another cord for me...
Yet, this being said, in my online travels, I have found that vintage sewing machines don't really have a market in France, even Featherweights tend to sell for a fraction of what they would in the USA
Old 07-05-2019, 10:27 AM

Angellight some of the dashboard Whites were made in Japan by Gritzner. They are said to be better machines than from other countries. That said, There aren't a lot of folks chaing dashboard models. They don't scream "antique" like black cast iron.