Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tell me I知 not alone bc my quilting is awful. >
  • Tell me I知 not alone bc my quilting is awful.

• Tell me I知 not alone bc my quilting is awful.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 AM

I致e only used them once but they do make fmq easier for some designs. And they do help you be a little more confident that you can achieve some designs. Angela Walters has a whole line and videos, but there are a lot of great videos on YouTube.
    Old 07-22-2019, 10:23 AM

10 Quilts in isn't very much. You need to cut yourself a break! Free motion quilting is a skill that improves with lots and lots of practice. There is really no other way to improve, except to just keep at it. I will say that I did take a class which helped me tremendously. Is that an option for you? Not an online class, but one with a real live instructor that can give you feedback? Each quilt I make I continue to learn something; not just about patterns & piecing, but also about the quilting process too. Not sure if getting a mid arm in necessarily the solution; It is still FMQ in which you are moving the fabric under the needle. I've been quilting for 7 years now and I feel OK saying that I can do a decent job on FMQ. I am better than some, but not as good as others, but I am usually happy with my quilting in the end. Hang in there and keep practicing. You'll get there
    Old 07-22-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by littledentist
    Ok ladies and gents, please please tell me I知 not alone here. I知 on my 10th quilt 🤦🏼*♀️ And my fmq and quilting in general is really...unsightly. Wonky, stitch lengths are all different, and did I mention wonky? I quilt on a Brother 1500 but I feel like I知 not improving at all. I don稚 think my life痴 problems would be solved with a mid arm but I am always so proud of my quilt tops and then they are essentially ruined by yucky quilting. Support and thoughts are very much welcome!!
    I知 in the same boat but have done only a few quilts. One thing that helped me with the length problem was lowering the speed if you have a choice of settings for that. When you do that the speed won稚 exceed the setting even if you stomp on the peddle. It saves you from yourself. Start slow until you get better then try increasing the speed.