Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prevent rulers from slipping during quilting? >

Prevent rulers from slipping during quilting?

Prevent rulers from slipping during quilting?

Old 08-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
A 5 lb. hand weight. It’s $4.99 at Walmart or maybe you have one at home. Put it on the the end of the ruler farthest from your hand. One end on the ruler, one end on the table. Watch almost any videos Jordan from Jordan Fabrics and you’ll see a demonstration. It really works.
Yeah but the OP was asking about quilting, not cutting. I know you're not putting a 5 pound hand weight on your quilt, Cindi!

I second the idea of using basting spray. I just took a class from a professional quilter who has 4 longarms. She sprays her rulers lightly with 505 and rubs them a little bit on a piece of batting or flannel to tame the sticky. We were allowed to use both her rulers and some brand-new ones, and hers were much better.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Yeah but the OP was asking about quilting, not cutting. I know you're not putting a 5 pound hand weight on your quilt, Cindi!
You’re absolutely right, I totally misread the OP!!
Old 08-15-2019, 03:49 AM

I use old fashion rubber cement- the stuff kids use on Poster Board to hold photos. It is cheap and works fantastic. Apply it to the underside and let dry for an hour or so. When it is covered with thread and lint, I just peal it off and put another fresh coat on it.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:07 AM

I use Performix "Plasti-dip" rubber coating Aerosol. It can be purchased at Amazon, Lowes, Home depot etc. I have sprayed the backs of 15 rulers and still have 1/2 can left. This makes them like the rulers that you purchase with the rubber backs. make sure it is Clear so you can clearly see through them. I really like the results. No more slippage.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-15-2019 at 06:54 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-15-2019, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight View Post
I use Performix "Plasti-dip" rubber coating Aerosol. It can be purchased at Amazon, Lowes, Home depot etc. I have sprayed the backs of 15 rulers and still have 1/2 can left. This makes them like the rulers that you purchase with the rubber backs. make sure it is Clear so you can clearly see through them. I really like the results. No more slippage.
featherweight - I have never heard of this in clear - DH has it in black for dipping tools Do the threads get stick in it (the Rubber cement I use gets icky after awhile and I rub it off and put on a new coat) . How long does a coating last?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-15-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

My grandmother sprayed the bottom of her shoes with Performix . It worked great for her and did not hurt the hardwood floors at all. This stuff has many uses. Many put it on car tires. The reviews of it gives lots of great tips.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My grandmother sprayed the bottom of her shoes with Performix . It worked great for her and did not hurt the hardwood floors at all. This stuff has many uses. Many put it on car tires. The reviews of it gives lots of great tips.
OneByOne, Featherweight and EParys ...
Would it work on the back of a floor mat or floor quilt, to keep it from skidding?
On socks?

I've never heard of the product before, but now you have me wondering ...
No clue where I would find it though.

Last edited by QuiltE; 08-15-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:01 AM

I use a sticky sheet material that I bought at a LQS. It covers the entire ruler. It's been on there for years and, though it does peel up at the corners occasionally, it has been great.

I'm sorry I don't have any of its packaging material left to get the brand name for you. Ask at your LQS -- they probably know of it or may sell it.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2019, 02:19 PM

Westalee stable tape works well and lasts quite long. You only need a little bit to keep the ruler steady. Plus which you do not have to worry about trying to remove it if necessary. Comes off really easy.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I've never heard of the product before, but now you have me wondering ...
No clue where I would find it though.
Answered upthread.

Originally Posted by featherweight View Post
I use Performix "Plasti-dip" rubber coating Aerosol. It can be purchased at Amazon, Lowes, Home depot etc.