Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Setting Quilting Goals >

Setting Quilting Goals

Setting Quilting Goals

Old 09-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Oh lord, I think I’d feel too overwhelmed to even make a list. I have so many unfinished projects. It’s a wonderful idea for those who are more disciplined! Right now my only “deadline quilt” is for a humane society quilt auction next March.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to create some sort of reward for accomplishing those goals?
Yes, I do! I will be thinking more specifically about setting goals & rewards for 2020. I think establishing a balance is key.

FYI - I keep an Excel spreadsheet of finished quilts/projects but have not tracked my UFOs, WIPs, PIGS, etc.. I think I will create something to help me focus and plan better - thanks for all the great ideas shared here
Old 09-13-2019, 01:04 PM

I'm no close to finishing my goals for this year. And today I agreed to make some fabric gifts for our guild's sale table in November so that puts me behind more. I am very good at carry over to the next year.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=TheMerkleFamily;8300803]Feeling a bit guilty that DH has asked me to make golf club covers since spring, better do that next.

i think this is a perfect christmas present. reminds me i have a dh request that would make a good present. what else is lying around that would be for dd & her dh? motivation for ufo's
Old 09-13-2019, 03:50 PM

my goals this year were so broad, it was easy to find a project to fit. completed at least 12 ufo, charity Q's, LA quilting, Using 120 yds fabric from stash, and finished ~10 Q's that were class projects. I didn't meet goals; "just for me", fiber art quilts, charity for another guild. Right now I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, prob 4 wks to any sewing project. For the rest of this year, hope to finish LA 10 charity Q's which are ufo. And finish 3 fiber art quilts that're just for me

next year 6-10 stacks of coordinated fabric can go into charity Q's. and another year of downsizing begins

Last edited by petthefabric; 09-13-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:58 PM

I have had success with setting goals for 2019 (the first time I have done this). This system is working for me, because previously my UFO pile was constantly growing, and I almost never finished a project or so it seemed.

My 2019 goals were:
- New Projects: 4 (2 specified, 2 unknown)
- UFO Finishes: 6 (unspecified)
- Work on skills: A, B, C
If I completed 4 projects, I could increase one of these numbers by 1 (Reward)

So far, I have completed 3 new projects, and 2 UFOs. This is the first year ever, where my UFO pile has reduced in number. And I never felt like I was working on something I did not want to do! More exciting is, I have decided to spent the remainder of 2019 working on UFOs rather than start a new project! The skills in my Goals, were all skills that would help me finish projects. (FMQ, big stitch quilting) I did NOT name my UFO projects in my goals because I wanted the freedom to choose which UFO just before I tackled it.

Yes, I will be setting similar goals for 2020. My goals helped me to focus my efforts and get results, and still feel like I was trying new things.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
It's a perpetual thought process... there are plenty UFOs, WIPs & PIGS to keep me busy for the foreseeable future but what about all the Christmas gifts? Oh, I first need to make my niece a gift for her 18th in October! And look at this pretty fall fabric that jumped into my arms at the thrift store yesterday so I better hurry-up and make some fall items to gift to family/friends. Wait a minute - what about the French Rose quilt that's been in progress and sitting on my sewing table for two months?? No, not before I quilt that Irish Chain king quilt I made last month! Feeling a bit guilty that DH has asked me to make golf club covers since spring, better do that next. Arrrrghh... The struggle is real! And I haven't even opened up my sewing closet which is full of projects waiting for my attention.

I think I shall commit myself to both the fabric moratorium and UFO train for 2020 and make it a 'clean-up' year. I am so much happier when I finish one before starting another so that's my over-arching quilting goal!

But, wait, I think I just saw an email with 60% off... oh no, I don't need that!

Have a great sewing day everyone!
Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 09-14-2019, 06:00 AM

Our LQS sponsored a UFO challenge for 2019. You had to write a list of your UFO’s and leave it at the shop. When you finish one, you bring it in to share, they cross it off your list and give you a ticket to add to a big drawing at the end of the year. I have so many friends who have been taking advantage of this.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:34 AM

Listing the UFOs on a paper was indeed scary. I recoiled in horror when I reached 12, then 13..... Although several (maybe 3) have been crossed off as done (done as a top is done, certainly not quilted or bound), more have appeared on the horizon.

I'm the kind of person who is quick to blame someone else. Who me? take responsibility, not a chance. So let's see who is to blame here.

I say this board is suspect as everyone here is so talented and produces so many lovely things. I just want to make one like them. Then you post the picture of something totally dazzling and I'm hooked. I'm off in an instant to order the pattern and then hi-ho hi-ho off we go to the fabric store. Yoder's department store and Lolly's are only eleven miles away. I'm doomed. Marcia
Old 09-14-2019, 07:47 AM

I don't set any goals for myself then I feel pressured and that is not why I make quilts. I enjoy making quilts on a leisurely basis and it is so relaxing. I too am a very slow sewer. I have two quilts waiting to put binding on and I have blocks for two Halloween quilts to be put together. However, I don't think my Halloween quilts will be done this year so will probably be the first two I work on in January.
My daughter and 3 granddaughters just moved to their new place after living with us for 8 years so I am getting my sewing room back ---!!! Just getting fabrics organized and pulling bins out of the shed in the back yard. I am so tired of sewing on the dining room table and having to clean up before getting ready for a meal. Having fun going thru my fabrics.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-14-2019 at 07:57 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps