Bobbin case for 306K

Old 11-03-2019, 06:32 AM

Default Bobbin case for 306K

My granddaughter was gifted a 306K that belonged to my aunt. The serial number is EL520074 which puts it at June 12, 1956. My granddaughter has lost the bobbin case, and I am trying to find a replacement for her. From the research that I did, it seemed like the 105032 bobbin case was probably the correct one, but when I install it into the machine, it will not snap in correctly. If I take the bobbin out, it will latch correctly. So it seems like the bobbin case that I got is not deep enough for the bobbins. And the bobbins do not seem to fit the case very well. I have tried to find out more information, but I am coming up with a blank. Do any of you gurus have an answer for me? Or could I get different bobbins to match the case that I got? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. My granddaughter is 13, has made several quilts when she came to visit me, and has another one that she would like to work on at home on this machine.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:00 AM

I think the 306 is a good machine. I have a couple. You need to have the manual for it.
It does have a couple of gotchas so the manual is a must. It takes a special needle
not the standard 15X1. It takes a 206X13 which you can get on Ebay. It also takes
a special bobbin which you can't buy in stores. You can also get them on Ebay but
try and find used originals.

You can find Chinese replacements but they aren't great quality and sometimes don't
work well on the bobbin winder.

Your problem looks like you don't have the 206/306 bobbins. 15 class bobbins won't work.

There also are two different bobbin cases. One with a cutout by the needle and one without.
You may have to buy one of each to find out which one fits your machine.

If you use the wrong needle or bobbin case the needle can actually hit the bobbin case
while sewing.

The main complaint with the 306 class machines is that it is a little inconvenient to
remove and install the bobbin case. Otherwise they are a heavy duty machine and
sew great.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:56 PM

Yes, the 105032 is supposed to be the bobbin case for the 306. It also takes "L" bobbins, which can be found prewound many places online. They also can be found at https://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbins...ack-55623S.htm and https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-universal-deep-groove-10pk-55623s.aspx?

Sometimes this machines have been altered to accept 15x1 needles, but my guess is that probably your machine hasn't been. The needles can be found at https://shop.sew-classic.com/206x13-...eedles_c46.htm and https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/10...-s206x13.aspx?

A manual can be found at https://www.singer.com/sites/default/files/outdated_product/SINGER%20306_306K%20and%20306W%20Sewing%20Machine. pdf

I have never dealt with Sewing Parts Online, but have been pleased with what I have gotten from Sew-Classic

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-03-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 11-03-2019, 05:50 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I do have a manual, and I got the 206X13 needles. The bobbin case I got is the one with the cutout. The bobbins that came with the machine are different from any other Singers that I have (and I don't have many different ones). I have a 15 and that one definitely is different. The 306K bobbin is not flat, but is rounded. The middle where it fits on the spindle in the bobbin case is taller than the edges of the bobbin. Does that make sense?
Old 11-03-2019, 06:47 PM

Yes, that does make sense. The class 66 bobbins are 'taller' in the middle than they are at the edges.

Just for fun, I got out my 319, which is much like the 306, and tried a 66 class bobbin in it. It does fit, but as you experienced the middle part of the bobbin sticks out from the case. The "L" bobbin is indeed flat. There used to be an image here on QB, with a bunch of different bobbins in a row. I can't find it now. I did find https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bl...y-sewist-know/ and the bobbin for the 306 is shown as #2. The bobbins that I think you have is at #7

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-03-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site link
Old 11-04-2019, 06:45 AM

Thank you, OurWorkbench, I came to the same conclusion last night. I pulled out a 66 bobbin and it is like the ones that came with this machine. I don't understand why they should be with this machine, but maybe the lady had another machine also. So I will order the L bobbins and see where that puts us.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post

[/URL]I have never dealt with Sewing Parts Online, but have been pleased with what I have gotten from Sew-Classic

I buy for Sewing Parts on line from time to time. I had a problem with one part and it was immediately made right. Their service is great and parts are on the mark.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:33 AM

I still find Ebay the best place to search for 306/319 parts both new and original. Bonanza is also
a good site for vintage parts. You can find original bobbins alone or mixed in with 306 attachments.
The new bobbins you will find are from china and may have a problem on the bobbin winder
but will fit in the case and sew OK.

If your machine didn't come with the bobbin case then you don't know for sure that it takes
the case with the cutout. It may take the one without the cutout. If you still have trouble
I would also get the one without the cutout. They are cheap on Ebay.

I don't know what an L bobbin is but if you search for 206/306/319 bobbins you will find
the right ones. I would try and find some originals on Ebay to have to at least test your
machine with. Watch out for Pfaff bobbins because they look close but aren't and some
people have them and think they are 306 bobbins.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:09 PM

The 'L' bobbin is an industrial machine bobbin, I think.

John Thomas in NC