Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
everything but the kitchen sink ;) >

everything but the kitchen sink ;)

everything but the kitchen sink ;)

Old 11-05-2019, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

We got the Franke Orca sink when we redid the kitchen in our other house. Loved it. Moved here, redid kitchen, same sink and faucet. Still love it
https://www.franke.com/us/en/ks/prod...27_detail.html
It has accessories but the one I got is the grid that sits up in the right side to use as a drainer. It easily comes out when I want to use the entire sink.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:50 AM

I’ve had three kinds. One large sink, a double with equal size sinks, and a double with one small sink and one larger sink. By far, I prefer the double with a small and a large sink. Next would be the one large sink. I really disliked the one with two equal size sinks.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:01 AM

We redid our kitchen 2 years ago and I went with the smaller sink on right side and larger on left side. I wish that I had stayed with the 2 sinks of equal size. I hand wash a ton of dishes and cook a lot (there are only 2 of us and it takes forever to fill the dishwasher). Also my Tupperware is so old that most should not go into the dishwasher (we are trying) to get away from the plastics). Some pots and cookies sheets do not fit well into the smaller side. Wish I did not decide to be with the "in crowd" and update to the smaller (right side) and larger (left side). I think that it depends on if you use your dishwasher mostly or just wash dishes like I do.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I've begun to hate that divider in sinks, so i can't advise you.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:21 AM

I have a smaller side on the left and a larger size on the right. It's okay. The larger size gets the most wear and has the most staining and damage. Our sink is one of the off white composite sinks. I hate it and wish I had a stainless steel sink again. Even if it doesn't match my kitchen. The composite stains.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:03 AM

I prefer my stainless steel as no concern about chipping or staining as there would be with porcelain. Double well as there is always something that needs to be emptied once the sink is filled with soapy water. Need one side for rinsing, too. Think how much you will need to bend over when considering depth of the sink. Your actual working surface is the bottom of the sink!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:26 AM
DJ

You could opt for a single sink and then use a dish pan in the sink which effectively gives you the option of using it as a double sink or single sink when you have large items. Works for me.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:23 PM

When we remodeled, we got the two sinks (one piece for both sinks). The installer wanted the garbage disposal under the small sink, but there is much more waste that goes down the larger sink, on the right. The garbage disposal was put under the larger sink. If something is too deep, it wears on your back. I also grew up with a Dishmaster. (in the 50s and 60s, and they are still around) Look on Amazon, and it is the absolute best for working at the sink. Mine has a soap reservoir for liquid soap, so the brush can be soapy if you only have a few dishes to wash, not needing the whole dishwasher. I love my setup, and over the years, it has served us well. I recommend you looking up the Dishmaster, and consider which sink to hook up the garbage disposal.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:01 AM

Kitchen remodel in 2014.
All my sinks are manufactured by Blanco. All black composite. My main sink is all one piece with a 17 x 17 sink on left, 13 x 17 on right and far right is at 17” dish drain. I love it. It does have a rack you can put on the top of the drain side but It is sloped and Is formed with the high/low kind of drains on it. Disposal installed under the left side and i would prefer it under the bigger side.
After enough years you get used to what you have!
I couldn’t bring myself to get the one big farm sink. Takes too much water to fill for dishwashing.

I will add I have granite countertops and really wish i had gone with the soapstone. They get water spotted and are cold and noisy
Old 11-08-2019, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

We used to have the sink with the large and small sides. The small side held our disposal but honestly, it was a waste for us. We're back to stainless double and it works out well for us. My husband is so hard on things and he's always in the kitchen so we didn't get porcelain
My neighbor has one of those farm sinks and loves it! I think it's really cool too.

One of my sons has the best nozzle I've seen yet. It does the regular mister like mine but also a super fine mister. I love that thing! It's great for rinsing my granddaughter's hair, among other things.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 11-08-2019 at 05:24 AM.