Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
White series 77 sews as soon as plugged in??? >

White series 77 sews as soon as plugged in???

White series 77 sews as soon as plugged in???

Old 11-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Default White series 77 sews as soon as plugged in???

I am so lucky to have found this beautiful treasure as a resource store here in Vermont. I fell in love as soon as I saw it but was afraid to ask the price as it was a tight week financially for me. To my surprise they only wanted $10!! (Crazy I know!!) We plugged it in and nothing. I offered $7 seeing as it didn't work and they eagerly accepted. I loaded it, cabinet and all and brought my treasure home. I replace the power cord from the knee pedal to the outlet plug, crossed my fingers and plugged it in. kind of. As soon as you plug it in the machine starts sewing at high speed. The knee pedal will make the light come on, but it never stops running. Please share any and all knowledge/ideas as to what is wrong, what I should check, I am so anxious to start using this beautiful machine!

In addition, if anyone can assist me in dating this I would be grateful. From what I have found I believe it is from around 1948

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-09-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-09-2019, 06:34 PM

You have the power cords for your motor and light reversed. Follow the wire from the motor until you find a two plug outlet like the end of an old extension cord. One socket is for the motor the other for the light. Switch the two plugs and every thing should run fine.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:40 PM

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...22-590161.html

most are not labeled this nicely.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:37 PM

I have a few of these, and I use a gold pen and write on the plug what goes where.LOL
Old 11-10-2019, 01:50 PM

I too have the White 77. I picked it up several years ago at a garage sale. I think I paid $10 for it.The manual says it was manufactured in 1938 in Canada. I found the tension to be the strangest thing about the machine. I have never seen a tension set up like this on any other machine I have worked on or that I have. I am fortunate that all this machine needed when I got it was a good oling and lub for the motor. I am not familiar with the electrical problems you are having hopefully someone can help you with that. Sounds like wiring??
Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 PM

I am not having any luck finding the two plug outlet you spoke of..........Is there a chance you could provide a picture of what I am looking for or possibly point me in the direction of where it might be? The only wire I find from the motor goes directly to the 3 prong plug right below the motor in the last picture above. Thank you!!
Old 11-13-2019, 01:28 PM

The two plug In block is pictured in a link on my post #3 on this thread. It may be mounted under the cabinet top when knees go in. or other places. I do not see any pictures that you have posted. Did you re-size them to tiny?
Old 11-13-2019, 07:25 PM

Welcome, Lisa. Perhaps if you post a picture of your motor and plug, it might help.

There is a thread about posting pictures and White wiring White Rotary Maybe it will help.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:59 AM

Lisa, take a look at post #12 on this area. vintage...... connections and plugs. Does that look familiar?

Pictures of electrical connections plugs blocks

Last edited by leonf; 11-15-2019 at 08:02 AM.