Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Towa TM-2 >

Towa TM-2

Towa TM-2

Old 12-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Default Towa TM-2

Hello! Hello!
I'm looking for a bobbin tension gauge that will work with my Bernina Aurora 430. After some looking around I think the Towa TM-2 is the right gauge for the machine. But not absolutely sure. I think this machine has a class 15 bobbin but my user manual doesn't actually tell me. Just fact checking back and forth online to come to that conclusion.
Would love some confirmations before I jump and buy the Towa.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I believe the newer Bernina's that use the larger bobbin are a proprietary, unique bobbin size. So not compatible with anything else and a different size from everything else. Which is why you can't use generic bobbins in your Bernina without messing it up. They look like the larger class M bobbins that longarms use but they aren't. Your best bet is to check with your Bernina dealer but I don't think Towa makes a guage for those proprietary bernina bobbins and bobbin cases. With the towa you have to insert the entire bobbin case into the gauge, not just the bobbin. So there is no fudge factor.

Edited to add, this site shows which machines are compatible with the TM2 guage and the Bernina 430 is not listed. They list 204-213 & 317-380 but they do list a 430 under the Bernette name. I don't think they are the same machine but I may be wrong.

https://www.allbrands.com/products/5...thread-tension

Last edited by feline fanatic; 12-13-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

There are videos on YouTube that show you how to set your tension by hand. Just take a picture of your bobbin and screw position before starting so you can turn it back to the original position if needed. Usethe little screw driver to turn the little screw...righty tightly or lefty loosey.....just a tiny bit at a time. Put different coloured thread in the bobbin and top so you can see when you get a balance stitch. Don’t fear changing your bobbin tension yourself.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:54 PM

Actually, I was pretty sure this was the right model until I saw that list of machines on Allbrands. Then I started doubting myself, then doubting all the websites and their claims. Even Google search wouldn't cooperate, kept pulling up the Towa TM-3 or the TM-1 when I specifically searched for the TM-2. I don't think there is such a thing as a Bernina Bernettte 430 or 440 either.
You know, I also have a Bernina 830 with the unique bobbin, the big black one with the silver spots. No way would one of those fit into a tension gauge.

Sigh! I'm going to bed.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:12 AM

There is an online group called "Bernina Lovers" that post on Facebook. These people are very knowledgeable so check with them.