Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Importance of contracts when making a  quilt for someone >

Importance of contracts when making a quilt for someone

Importance of contracts when making a quilt for someone

Old 12-20-2019, 03:00 PM

I actually was thinking about this very thing this morning. I know my best friend is going to eventually want a quilt from me, which is fine, but there's no way I can afford an additional quilt on my very limited resources and as much as I love her, she's just going to have to buy the quilt. I'm only going to charge her for fabric and supplies, but the way she can be sometimes, it's going to be difficult to do anything without one.

I hate to do it that way to her, but I've got to cover my bases completely. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels a contract is the way to go.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:19 AM

I like making quilts. I like the entire process - from choosing a pattern to binding and labeling. I like giving them away to deserving people, but only if they want a quilt. Some people don't want quilts. That's fine. I would be kind of sad if I found out that a quilt I made and gifted wasn't wanted and only used as a moving blanket, etc. But what I won't do is make a quilt for someone who asks me to make one for pay. First of all they wouldn't understand the costs, time, and process. (I had someone ask me to make a quilt for them...they didn't need it for 2 weeks! I was also working 60-70 hours a week at the time and she knew this. Oh and it was also Christmas time as well). So anyway, when someone asks me if they could hire me to make a quilt and how much - my answer is 'okay, my price is $100,000 (or sometimes $1M, depends on my mood lol). After they figure out that I'm not kidding, I ask how much they thought it would cost - they usually answer $50, $100 or maybe $200 it ends the conversation. I'm not trying to be unkind.....I just don't want to do it.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
I actually was thinking about this very thing this morning. I know my best friend is going to eventually want a quilt from me, which is fine, but there's no way I can afford an additional quilt on my very limited resources and as much as I love her, she's just going to have to buy the quilt. I'm only going to charge her for fabric and supplies, but the way she can be sometimes, it's going to be difficult to do anything without one.

I hate to do it that way to her, but I've got to cover my bases completely. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels a contract is the way to go.
I have done contracts with several friends with 50% up front. For those serious about a quilt it was put up without concern. I have yet to keep a quilt because it was not picked up on completion. (That is my requirement). Friendships are kept intact this way.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the food for fodder. I've been asked by my daughter's best friend whom we all consider close family friend to make a quilt. I've put the thought on hold until I can really decide whether I want to do it or not. I gift my quilts for family and close friends for special days such as weddings and special days. I'm at the point where I really am thinking twice about all the "gifting" I do and am learning to keep my mouth shut. My daughter would rather pay a speciality shop high prices for a quilt or coverlet than to purchase fabric for my quilt. (She's going to get all my quilts some day so she knows eventually she'll get them for free!!). I live on a fixed income. I have a special Great Niece that has already requested a quilt when she graduates in 1 1/2 years. You see where I'm heading with this line. It may be time to just say "No". I'm in the process of making my niece a Mickey Mouse quilt. She sends me little gifts occasionally and asked for a MM quilt some time ago. These requests are starting to add up and no time to sew for myself. I have a LA and I only do simple quilting on them.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:59 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by BSKTLOFR-QUILTER View Post
...........I'm at the point where I really am thinking twice about all the "gifting" I do and am learning to keep my mouth shut. My daughter would rather pay a speciality shop high prices for a quilt or coverlet than to purchase fabric for my quilt. (She's going to get all my quilts some day so she knows eventually she'll get them for free!!). I live on a fixed income. These requests are starting to add up and no time to sew for myself. I have a LA and I only do simple quilting on them..............
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
............didn't you say you wanted to pay me fairly? She took a closer look at the estimate and said "Oh, I thought you would just use fabrics from your stash, I didn't realize you would actually charge me for fabric!"

Needless to say, I did not make the quilt for her..........She reimbursed me for the embroidery and longarming and paid nothing more. So I basically did everything for free. Lesson learned.

It's just not worth it, the feeling bad on both sides. I don't post pictures on social media, I don't talk about my quilts other than in casual conversation, I don't offer to do any sewing, repairs, or quilting for anyone. My closest friends know I'm a quilter because it's hard to miss the longarm when they come visit me, but they know better than to ask.
When I read up on other's experiences with dealing with commissioned quilts (or anything else for that matter), I really moving towards the simple but powerful word...! Ladies and Gentlemen of good raising and taste usually don't like to use such strong language. One likes to help our fellow man/woman. Nothing wrong with that. Until the other party is not as well intention or fair. We are so used to our mothers, aunts, female relatives and close friends do for others that the dreaded "taking for granted" attitude abounds with many to most members of our shared society. Labor of love is prone to being taken advantaged of. It's one thing for a small child to be unaware of others's needs or feelings. It another when adult expectation never leaves the small child behind? I might post a quilt online if I choose. I might sell one already made (not commissioned), I will quitely donate quilts anonmyously and hope for the best. But forget about being someone else's servant. I will direct them to Walmart or Target for bedding. My time is limited and precious. I learn not to throw it away.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-31-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps