Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wandering Geese Pattern...hints? >

Wandering Geese Pattern...hints?

Wandering Geese Pattern...hints?

Old 01-09-2020, 04:15 AM
j50

I am a fan of paper piecing. You can make as long a pice of continuous geese as you need. No need to attach each one to each other.
You do have to do a bit of planning if you are particular about color placement.
You can cut all the triangles over size and they fit really easy onto the paper.

I googled 'paper piece flying geese' and chose the one for pinterest.

It is easy to adjust the size of the whole pattern.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:15 AM

I'm currently making a quilt for my bed in a Flying Dutchman design using the Loc-Bloc ruler/templates for flying geese...they come in various sizes. You can even purchase 2 and sometimes 3 different sizes as one packaged deal... but they are a little expensive. Check them out on Missouri Star or Amazon. I figured it was either purchase the templates and always have them for various projects, like borders, or spend a lot of money on fabric to redo the ones I would mess up on if I had used another way of making flying geese. Haven't regretted my decision at all.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:28 AM

Best to oversized and trim down. Eleanor Burns has a method that is different than Deb Tucker’s. Both are good and easy. Worth buying the rulers - you can usually get Eleanor Burns ruler at Joann’s with a coupon.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Love the pattern. It will probably go on my list to do.

I just bought this one a few weeks ago. It called my name right out.

https://deb-tuckers-studio-180-desig...tlantic-flyway

I have used the QIAD ruler for FG with success.
This is a picture of Wandering Geese. Notice that the Geese in the border are off-set. A very nice pattern.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:19 AM

I agree with feline fanatic. Best tool ever.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Working on a bunch of FG right now.
I'm using the no waste method with the Bloc Loc ruler.
https://media.rainpos.com › no_waste...20170816113455
I watched the video. It looks like you will lose your points on the sides. She's showing it before it's sewn and it looks like the side edges are flush with the edge before it's sewn.
I usually use simple patterns that do not involve many triangles, so I may be wrong. So, I guess this is a question not a statement.
bkay
Old 01-09-2020, 10:40 AM

I try to resist purchasing what Alton Brown calls "uni-taskers", those items that only have one use. But I made an exception for my Bloc-Loc rulers. Absolutely worth it. Plus, it's not really a uni-tasker if I can do flying geese and ohio stars and whatever else I can think of that uses that shape, right?
Old 01-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the others. The wings trimmer and bloc locs are indispensable. And I'm not one for all kinds of rulers. These are the exception.
Deb Tucker's website is interesting. I bought several large rulers but I forgot why! So I'm going to spend some time there and maybe I'll jog my memory. I keep finding things I forgot I had!
Old 01-09-2020, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
This is a picture of Wandering Geese. Notice that the Geese in the border are off-set. A very nice pattern.
This is all a matter of terminology. The pattern in the first post is called Wandering Geese. The offset geese are usually called Migrating Geese. But neither term is "right" or "wrong" - just a matter of what you want to call it. I love how this pattern designer called hers a Gaggle of Geese. https://betteroffthread.com/product/...geese-pattern/
Old 01-09-2020, 01:30 PM

I just finished making 560 Flying Geese using the Deb Tucker ruler and her 4 at a time method. I highly recommend using this method. It is very accurate and forgiving because you oversize the blocks a bit and then trim them up.
You won't be sorry!