Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket? >

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket?

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket?

Old 01-27-2020, 06:27 AM

Yes, I would. Last year I made a quilt for an auction at our church to support the school. Anyway the quilt sold well at more than $200. It was not anything very special. It was only on display for 2 days before the auction ended. Of course I would have been happier if it sold for more. I think Raffle tickets would have been a better way to go to get a much more impressive $$ return.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:23 PM

Default Raffle ticket

Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT View Post
I'm in the process of making a queen sized log cabin quilt with all Moda fabrics (Kansas Troubles) to raffle off for a fundraiser.

This will be the only thing raffled off and I am wondering how much to charge per ticket. I know I have bought tickets in the past that were like $2/each or 3 for $5, but am wondering what others out there pay.

This is for a mission trip that my daughter is going on with a group of students from Liberty University. It is expensive and we need to make as much as possible.

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket? I'm thinking we could do $5/each or 3 for $10. I know personally I would pay that much for a ticket on a quilt that I loved (and also for a cause that I supported), but don't want to set this price if it is a really bad idea.

Your thoughts?
Yes I would and do.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT View Post
I'm in the process of making a queen sized log cabin quilt with all Moda fabrics (Kansas Troubles) to raffle off for a fundraiser.

This will be the only thing raffled off and I am wondering how much to charge per ticket. I know I have bought tickets in the past that were like $2/each or 3 for $5, but am wondering what others out there pay.

This is for a mission trip that my daughter is going on with a group of students from Liberty University. It is expensive and we need to make as much as possible.

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket? I'm thinking we could do $5/each or 3 for $10. I know personally I would pay that much for a ticket on a quilt that I loved (and also for a cause that I supported), but don't want to set this price if it is a really bad idea.

Your thoughts?
I recently bought tickets for a 50/50 at a community play where they also added 8 for $20. A lot of people shared $10 each and got 8 tickets and split to 4 each for the $10 each.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:44 PM

It seems a little high. We sell them 6 tickets for $5.

Also, not everyone realizes that if you win it will hit your income taxes.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:39 AM

Default Raffle Ticket

In my area (So.Calif) quilt raffle tickets are generally $1 each or 6 for $5. If someone hands me a $5 bill I automatically say "Oh, thank you so much" here are your six tickets. Whether or not they intended to buy $5 worth or not. Also, I don't just sit at the raffle table - I speak to everyone who comes within distance of my speaking and ask them if they are interested in buying a raffle ticket. If they seem hesitant, I start my speech about what the quilt is raising money for. You gotta SELL.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:51 AM

If it was for a good cause...absolutely.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:05 AM

Are most of the ticket buyers non-quilters? If so, $5 is fine. Maybe five tickets for $20? In my experience, quilters don't buy many raffle tickets for quilts. But our local snowmobile club has a quilt raffle every year and they charge $5 per ticket for the quilt at a fund raising dinner.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:07 AM

If it was a cause I was interested in supporting I would certainly pay $5 even if I didn’t like the quilt. Otherwise as a quilter I only take chances on quilts that are special - hand appliqués, etc. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

If I consider the cause to be "worthy enough" - and they have a donation jar - I will put a dollar or two into it.

If I consider the quilt to be something I might want - I might buy one for $1 or 6 for $5,00. I would not buy one ticket for $5.00

I quit buying lottery tickets when they went up from $1.00 to $2.00 each. I usually spent at least $2.00 before they went up, but the increase irked me.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

5.00 doesn't seem high to me, especially if it's for a good cause. If I won and didn't like the quilt I would just give it to someone who did. But there aren't many quilts I don't like