Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm? >

Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm?

Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm?

Old 01-17-2019, 01:31 PM

Peasco, I'm intrigued by the shelf you have under your frame that the UPS sits on. My UPS currently sits on a box, but I would love to put it on something more sturdy. Can you either explain how it was installed or provide additional photos?
Old 01-17-2019, 04:53 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606931[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606933[/ATTACH]I used 2 L-shaped shelf brackets (one for each leg), 4 (2 for each leg and bracket) what I called U-bolts, it when I was at the hardware store I saw they had a square bolt as you can see in the pictures. Figured the square shape would fit tighter around the leg. 1 piece of plywood long enough to fit between the legs and wide enough to hold the UPS. I wanted to get the UPS off the floor so I could clean more easily under the longarm. I don’t have as much hand strength as I used to so asked a friend to tighten the U-bolts. Men can really tighten bolts well. Had wanted to paint the plywood, just don’t see it to remind me to get that little job done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	56307235-85E6-49B2-BE0D-31F06E53BDDA.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	606931   Click image for larger version

Name:	45907A38-F211-4F07-BA09-9F0DA07EB007.jpeg
Views:	616
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	606933  
Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Peaso View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606931[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]606933[/ATTACH]I used 2 L-shaped shelf brackets (one for each leg), 4 (2 for each leg and bracket) what I called U-bolts, it when I was at the hardware store I saw they had a square bolt as you can see in the pictures. Figured the square shape would fit tighter around the leg. 1 piece of plywood long enough to fit between the legs and wide enough to hold the UPS. I wanted to get the UPS off the floor so I could clean more easily under the longarm. I don’t have as much hand strength as I used to so asked a friend to tighten the U-bolts. Men can really tighten bolts well. Had wanted to paint the plywood, just don’t see it to remind me to get that little job done.
Thank you, very resourcefull idea and easy to do. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a solution to my power cord woes.

After reading your post I rushed out to DH's shop and found a shelf and two brackets left over from another project, and even have square u-bolts, but they were too small. I have the zip ties for the cord. And found some angle braces that i can screw to the top side of the board, and the UPS can be secured so it doesn't shift from the table vibrations ( i assume that's why you have yours strapped to the frame leg?)

So a quick stop at Ace Hardware tomorrow for the right size bolts and i'm all set.

Thank you again for sharing your wonderful idea.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:45 AM

My longarm is in my living room, out a couple feet from the wall. I have a surge protector and extension cord that travels along with the machine. Since I am not back there often, the dragging cord is no problem for me. But in my finished basement, when I had it finished off I requested a ceiling outlet for my iron, over my large ironing table. I love it, only wish I had thought to have it connected to the main light switch so the iron would turn off when the light is turned off.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 AM

I took Electricity in 4H one year and made for my project a heavy-duty extension cord for my mother's iron. Her washer, dryer and iron/ironing board were in the basement. The extension card was plugged into an outlet between the floor joists above, and had a large cup hook above the ironing board to keep the extension cord out of the way when not in use.

I estimate that this was in 1962 and that I was eleven year's old. Mama used this set-up until she moved into an assisted living facility 4 years ago. The new occupants of the house are still using it.

It's good to know how useful this idea was and how long it has lasted.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
When we built my sewing studio, we had two electric outlets put in the ceiling and two in the floor. When my longarm was set up a week ago, I soon discovered that it would be difficult to put a surge protector in the ceiling so I’m using the floor plugs and they are conveniently under the machine so I don’t have cords to step over anything. I guess the ceiling outlets might come in handy if I need to add a light bar or something...
Most surge protectors have a way to mount them to the wall, so you could plug it in, in the ceiling, then mount the surge protector high on the wall out of the way. In my sewing room, I have a computer desk in one corner with a serge protector on the floor behind that desk. I have another serge protector mounted under the edge of my cutting table, in the middle of the room, so I can leave my serger, sewing machine, and Ott lite, plugged in all the time, and an indoor/outdoor heavy cord to connect to the serge protector when I want to sew, that does lay on the floor but it is next to my chair, where he can’t get to when “we” are sewing. . I have a huge, clumsy dog, so no cords can be allowed to string across the room, so this is my solution. I do use zip ties to keep the cords from hanging lose. Me and Eli are happy with this arrangement.
BTW- new surgery protectors are now made to plug in flush to the wall, so that type might work for you. (You can support the cord in place with a couple cup hooks.)

Last edited by madamekelly; 01-18-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:03 PM

Such great ideas here on the board. Love the pictures too. My solution to not tripping over the cords especially when concentrating on the quilt, machine, pattern, radio, etc. is quite simple. My teenage granddaughter simply brought over a roll of duct tape (bright neon orange) and roughly wrapped the cords. It's just enough for me to see out of the corner of my eye and certainly has prevented me from not only tripping but crashing into the sun-room windows. Hey, when I trip I tend to crash like a bull in a china shop. It has worked for over 4 years now.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:55 AM

Default Long arm cord suspention

I like this idea! Trying to figure a way to get my cords off the floor.

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Yes, I had my electrician install a wall socket up in my rafters so I wouldn't trip over the cords. I also added a metal ring onto a galvanized pole so the cords can move with the machine. Here's a pic of my setup. Its not pretty but I haven't tripped yet. I also have a camera on my quilt machine, automatic advancement for the back roller as well as robotics so more cords to worry about so all up in the rafters.