Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
?Stabilizer for Machine Embroidering? >

?Stabilizer for Machine Embroidering?

?Stabilizer for Machine Embroidering?

Old 06-13-2020, 07:26 AM

Default ?Stabilizer for Machine Embroidering?

I just purchased a used Bernina embroidery machine (a starter level machine). I am looking at the embroidery thread on Wawak. I love their regular sewing thread so was starting there for this type of thread. But...I have no idea what kind of stabilizer to buy. I will be doing simple pieces for awhile so I don’t think I’ll need multiple types; or will I? And where is a good source to buy it? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:22 AM
Administrator

the stabilizer you'll need it going to depend on the fabric onto which you are embroidering + the sort of embroidery you plan.

if you google on the phrase "guide to machine embroidery stabilizers" you will find several useful links

there are so many good sources of reasonably priced thread i dare not start a list.

when it comes to either thread or stabilizer it can be risky to buy to big a selection until you know the exact nature of your project. i, myself, have a tendency to go overboard about such things. as a result i have dozens of colors i have never needed and what seems like a lifetime supply of stabilizers. (truth - more than one lifetime's worth. lol)
Old 06-13-2020, 09:36 AM

Thanks for that search suggestion. I also have a tendency to go overboard do I sometimes put items in my shopping cart and go back a few hours/days later to see if I really “need” those items. I’ve already taken some colors out of my cart!
Old 06-13-2020, 01:22 PM

For hooped items, I like tear away or cut away products. I use a WSS (water-soluble stabilizer) for topping over embroidery letters. It prevents them from sinking into the fabric. I also use a 60 weight thread for letters but it's not necessary.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2020, 01:50 PM

I get my supplies from allstitch.com. They are great and their site has a lot of information to help you make the right choice for your projects.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:07 PM

A pretty good rule of thumb is not to use tear a way on anything you wear. You need something that will stay and stabilize the embroidery and garment.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:05 PM

I keep everything from a moderate to pull away, to water soluble stabilizers. When using a hoop I like to use a lightly firm stabilizer that is ruler marked so I have it on the correct grain. If I am putting an embroidered piece on a shirt or skirt I want something that I can pull away and if I am making lace I want a water soluble stabilizer. This is something you will need to experiment with as you go. It is also nice to make samples before putting the pieces onto a garment or quilt. Those samples can be used at a later time for quilt blocks or even pieces for a crazy quilt to be appliqued onto something. Good luck with your new toy!