Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you belong to a quilting guild? >

Do you belong to a quilting guild?

Do you belong to a quilting guild?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 PM

Linda, I don't think we live near each other. I'm in eastern central Jersey in Monmouth County, somewhere between Perth Amboy and Red Bank and close to Raritan Bay. Exit 117 on the Parkway on the way to The Shore.

It's nice to see another "Jersey Girl" on the MB. May
Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Where are you in Colorado? I am in Arvada and am also looking for an active quilting group. I attended a couple of meetings with the main quilting society, and found them lacking in friendliness. They just meet for food and show and tell, they don't spend the evening quilting.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM

I am a member of local quilt guild. I joined because a friend was a member and really enjoy it. We have speakers, workshops, BOM, show and tell. We make quilts for local women/childrens shelter as our charity. This is the second year we will celebrate National Quilt day with an exibition and demo's at local library. There is always some inspiration and support for me as I am a novice quilter.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM

I belong to a guild in town and it's great we put on a quilt show every year with a raffle quilt to help out those in town who needed it. Were a very small town there are about 45 in our guild. I also think this board is a lot like a guild with sew and tell, helping one another and just being here.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:57 PM

I just joined a guild two months ago. Ours is small in comparison: about 50 members. So far, I'm enjoying it.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:14 PM

Yes, I belong to a Guild. In fact, several years ago, when my eyesight got bad (due to cataracts) several friends and I founded a new Guild in our little town that featured a day meeting. We are still very small, and we are learning a lot.

We get together every week, but our official meeting is the second Wednesday of the month. The rest is for bees, community service, and just sewing and sharing and having fun. :lol:
Old 03-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Ten years ago, when I left Houston and moved back to the country, I missed my old quilting buddies, but it was not practical to drive back for activities.

Then I ran an ad in the local free paper, saying I was interested in forming a small quilting group, and listing my name and phone number. I arranged to meet interested people at a local buffet type restaurant for lunch, and the Ladybugs Bee was born. It has grown into a small Guild, with a day meeting, and a variety of activities, inhouse speakers, and occasionally an outside speaker.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lucille A
Ten years ago, when I left Houston and moved back to the country, I missed my old quilting buddies, but it was not practical to drive back for activities.

Then I ran an ad in the local free paper, saying I was interested in forming a small quilting group, and listing my name and phone number. I arranged to meet interested people at a local buffet type restaurant for lunch, and the Ladybugs Bee was born. It has grown into a small Guild, with a day meeting, and a variety of activities, inhouse speakers, and occasionally an outside speaker.
Good for you! I am getting ready to do something similar at our church. Right now I make quilts for all the new babies, but I would like to get a group going, so if something happens to me, the ministry would continue. I don't expect it to be a very big group but I bet it will grow. No name for us as yet.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Boxer mom
I have been wondering if there was one in my area. How do I go about finding it?
It depends on whereyou are in Colorado. Here's a link to the list: http://www.coloradoquiltcouncil.com/memberguilds.html
or
http://www.quiltguilds.com/colorado.htm
Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 PM

I joined a guild this year called CAMEO (come and meet each other). So far it has been very interesting. They have had various speakers and workshops. Twice a year there is a potluck. We are having a quilt show in 2011. So far so good.