Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your definition of scrappy is... >

Your definition of scrappy is...

Your definition of scrappy is...

Old 11-16-2020, 04:21 AM

I am a scrappy quilt lover and honestly should never buy more than a fat quarter. Not happening! I make a lot of quilts that I love but “Roscoe” and “ So. Any Strips” are stand-out favorites. I basically use reproduction fabrics, both 30’s and Civil War, every year I set January aside to clean out my Scrap bins and I use it all for donation quilts for a church group that donates to a women’s shelter.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:19 AM

I have made one table runner from batik fabric scraps. I wanted to make the pattern to try a technique. About twice a year, I send scrap fabrics to one of the ladies in the local guide for charity quilts/projects. I'm just not a scrappy quilter.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:19 AM

I must have a color scheme of some type, but will range far and wide into that scheme. I tried a random scrap project once, and abandoned the idea pretty quickly - just not my thing.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:31 AM

I love to look at the scrappy quilts but have never made one. Some day I hope to just dig into my scrap bin (which I have been saving scraps for a long time) and just sew fabric together and then square up whatever size I feel is sufficient. I would like to make blocks with strips of my fabric and hopefully I can start on that soon.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:59 AM

I feel there is a "controlled" scrappy which is a number of colors but in lots of various fabrics and then there is "SCRAPPY" where you just pick up a piece of fabric and go with it. I never liked scrappy anything when I first got into making quilts. Then I decided to try one of Bonnie Hunter's pattern, her Pineapple Blossom pattern. Made it very scrappy and fell in love with "SCRAPPY". Of course once it was quilted I loved it even more as I feel the quilting adds to the quilt itself. I normally don't do the same pattern if I can help it but made this pattern again but "Controlled" scrappy and fell in love again with scrappy. Here are the 2 quilts, both ended up as wedding gifts for 2 couples. Also showing the quilting on the backside. Used the same quilting patterns for both, one in I think white/creme thread and the other in a red thread which was also my 1st time using a colored thread. Loved it.

Now I make mostly scrappy or what I call "very colorful".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Quilt.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	629644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished 7 8 12.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	629645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Stitching.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	629646  
Old 11-16-2020, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Suz,
Both quilts are beautiful! I love all scrappy quilts, and that's about all I make. I donate them to our local hospital in the infusion center.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:10 AM

Suz, OMG both are beautiful and then the back! OMG, again. Do you cry when you gift a quilt? Do they cry when they get a quilt from you? (Maybe idea for new thread?) TYSM for posting your quilts.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I'm musing as I read this thread. Back in the past the color choices were more limited than today and so their fabrics naturally went together for that reason. Now we can utilize every color in the rainbow along with their tints and shades which has made all the difference.

Great conversation

PS I don't want my quilts to look like "dog vomit"!
Old 11-16-2020, 07:52 AM

My scrappy quilts come out of my scrap bins as I pull them out. A quilt pattern may be in mind. My favorite scrappy quilt pattern is the Depression Block; It is all HSTs one side light and one side dark. Makes for a great pattern for a special and scrappy quilt. Once I have all the the hst's cut they all get mushed back into a bin again and then the blocks are sewn together. It is a fun quilt to make. There are others I make too. I love making scrappy quilts.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
To me, controlled scrappy doesn't mean using one fabric line. This is an example. The quilt reads as blue, but there are all shades of blue, some purple, some green. No two of the fabrics came from the same line. When I made it, I was a new quilter and didn't even realize there were such things as fabric lines. (Maybe because I shopped mainly at JAF back then.)
Lovely indeed!