FW 221 questions

Old 01-27-2021, 02:02 PM

Default FW 221 questions

I've got two questions about the basic Featherweight; for various reasons they might seem strange, but I'd really appreciate your input.

First, what do you like about using it? Why do people become fanatics? I have used one, but in the mid-90s (before I really got into sewing) as a house guest; my friend borrowed it from her mom for halloween costuming, and neither of us knew Singer had ever made something that small.

I have one that I've never used, because (and here's the strange part) I don't think anybody ever has. I got it a couple of years ago as a side part of a charity auction for an Elna Lotus and expected it to be really battered and beatup...my interest was the Lotus, and the 221 was described as "flawed?"

I've piled up a lot of straight-stitch singer attachments and figured the 221 to test them.

It came without a case, the light turns on and the wheel turns nicely but no way would I turn it on -- given the "flawed?" and that oiling/lubing first, at least, would be smart.

Here are some pictures. Every time I look at it, thinking, oh, my memory is exaggerating, it looks more unused than any sewing machine I've ever gotten, including several new or reconditioned ones. I have absolutely no idea how it could survive almost 70 years (an unknown number without the case) and look this good.

So, I don't want to mar its "unusedness" but it's not a collectible that means anything to me, so I don't know about hauling it to a repair shop, which I'd do if it were.

I don't know what to do with it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fw221_a.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	631300   Click image for larger version

Name:	fw221_b.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	631301   Click image for larger version

Name:	fw221_d.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	631302   Click image for larger version

Name:	fw221_e.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	631303   Click image for larger version

Name:	fw221_f.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	631304  

Old 01-27-2021, 03:22 PM

Terrible machine! Send it to me now before it contaminates your whole house.

Oh , you won't do that do that?

Several thing to tell you. The id plate is under the machine, at the edge of the bottom cover that is held on by a thumb screw. That will date it for you.
You have the bobbin case. Huzzah, and it is placed correctly. YAY.. Oil it more than the manual says. It has been dormant for decades. oil all the steel parts that rub against steel. Disconnect the belt and turn it while you are oiling it. Unplugged.

The bobbin area and just behind the bobbin are trouble points for this machine. Tiny bits of thread can get in there and lock up or create a lot of drag.

Thread it and power it by hand and you can see if it will sew.

The featherweightshop.com ( maybe) has wonderful helpful folks and videos.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:45 PM

The Featherweight is the ultimate lightweight portable. Very handy if space is a premium like classes, camping, and travel.
Great machine if you only need straight stitch. Brand new replica cases can be bought if you want one like an original.
Otherwise a luggage case on wheels will carry everything.
I would keep it even if you don't use it. They are worth a lot and make good furniture pieces.
Make sure you get a book for it so you use it right. Can sometimes be a little temper mental and there are a few gotchas
if you aren't aware of them.
But when you get used to using one they are great.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

People seem to like the portable aspect of these machines, if they are class-goers. I collected a couple of these but honestly never use them. If I had a big room I might have them out on display, as it is a novelty. Or wouldn't they be cute pointed towards each other, as bookends with a few quilting books in between them?

I have since collected a couple of 301's, and like those machines a lot more than the featherweight. They are gear driven and sew stronger than a little belt driven machine (as the FW). They also slant towards the user (the first Slant-O-Matics) which makes everything so much easier to see.

If you have no use for it and don't want it, sell it! One in that good shape (cosmetically) would probably go for $400-450. And that's nothing to sneeze at!
Old 01-27-2021, 07:59 PM

leonf, it might come to that.

According to my notes (hah) the serial number is # AH 221 459 which seems very short. Unlike almost every other sewing machine in this chaotic house and garage, it's securely boxed (inner-wrapped in brown paper so condensation isn't an issue) and I took the pictures before I did. But I'll look again if the number needs to be longer.

I'm not going to oil and lube it, I am not going to be the first person to use this! No lint, thread fragments or any other indication it was ever even threaded or came near a textile. The pedal looks like it has never been on a floor, much less touched a foot. I've got another picture that shows the plug socket and again, it looks straight from the box. (Maybe I didn't plug it in to test the light? It's been a couple of years since it arrived.)

Even if I traveled as much as I used to, and really wanted an ultra-portable, the Elna Lotus is smaller, self-encased, and mine has several zig-zag stitches. One of the most beautiful-looking sewing machines, or appliances, ever made.

While I'd love to sell the 221, I'm scared the buyer might plug it in and either seize it up or have it sizzle and give off smoke, and I can't figure out how to phrase "as is; please, please oil first, and let me know how it works out".

Sewbizgirl, I know featherweights go for a lot, but that much for an "as is" without a case? I don't understand going for cosmetics, more interested in operating condition. I agree about the 301.

For a display, I'd put out the Babylock In A Basket (one...strange...machine, in its wicker sewing basket. There is a reason no other manufacturer has ever combined the likely-sounding pair.). Plus the foolish National N-50 "Viking" that I bought by mistake a couple of weeks ago, which looks like National borrowed the Kirby Vacuum tooling on the q.t. to cast the aluminum. Or part of a Corvair engine. Or a cheezy model of the Chrysler building made right before WWII cut off metal manufacturing.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:07 PM

I have 2 featherweights and love them for the beautiful straight stitch and just how cute they are. I have used mine when i was working between machines on one project. I can have the 301 set up with my 1/4" guide and then set the FW up on the opposite table for the snowballs and 1/2 square triangles. I used the black FW extensively for this when doing an Elizabeth Hartman quilt and it worked like a charm. The FW is small enough that I can pretty much set it up anywhere and does the job of a larger machine. And, of course, its wonderful for my twice monthly quilting bees that I attend.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by grennan View Post
I'm not going to oil and lube it, I am not going to be the first person to use this! No lint, thread fragments or any other indication it was ever even threaded or came near a textile. The pedal looks like it has never been on a floor, much less touched a foot. I've got another picture that shows the plug socket and again, it looks straight from the box. (Maybe I didn't plug it in to test the light? It's been a couple of years since it arrived.)

Even if I traveled as much as I used to, and really wanted an ultra-portable, the Elna Lotus is smaller, self-encased, and mine has several zig-zag stitches. One of the most beautiful-looking sewing machines, or appliances, ever made.

While I'd love to sell the 221, I'm scared the buyer might plug it in and either seize it up or have it sizzle and give off smoke, and I can't figure out how to phrase "as is; please, please oil first, and let me know how it works out".
I would love to get my hands on it, I have zero problems plugging it in and if it smokes or sizzles, its not much to replace the motor if it was oiled, but then, I took a class on sewing machine maintenance and I'm much more adventurous now. That's often why the motors smoke and die, people think that you oil the motor not lube it and then kill their motor. I understand your preference for the lotus. The 221 does make a really nice stitch, but its just really convenient to have a zig zag. The little Kenny is nice that way as well.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by grennan View Post
I've got two questions about the basic Featherweight; for various reasons they might seem strange, but I'd really appreciate your input.

First, what do you like about using it? Why do people become fanatics? I have used one, but in the mid-90s (before I really got into sewing) as a house guest; my friend borrowed it from her mom for halloween costuming, and neither of us knew Singer had ever made something that small.

I have one that I've never used, because (and here's the strange part) I don't think anybody ever has. I got it a couple of years ago as a side part of a charity auction for an Elna Lotus and expected it to be really battered and beatup...my interest was the Lotus, and the 221 was described as "flawed?"

I've piled up a lot of straight-stitch singer attachments and figured the 221 to test them.

It came without a case, the light turns on and the wheel turns nicely but no way would I turn it on -- given the "flawed?" and that oiling/lubing first, at least, would be smart.

Here are some pictures. Every time I look at it, thinking, oh, my memory is exaggerating, it looks more unused than any sewing machine I've ever gotten, including several new or reconditioned ones. I have absolutely no idea how it could survive almost 70 years (an unknown number without the case) and look this good.

So, I don't want to mar its "unusedness" but it's not a collectible that means anything to me, so I don't know about hauling it to a repair shop, which I'd do if it were.

I don't know what to do with it.
I would adopt her in a heartbeat.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

I like having my FW downstairs if I want to sew. My main machine is so heavy and it's upstairs so the FW is perfect. I love sewing on it. They are so much fun to use.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:08 PM

I love the feather weight. Its a power house. I've made clothes and even heavy slip covers for a small sofa. Take it to someone that knows feather weights, and have them check it out. Then decide what to do with it.