Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding quilt ideas >

Wedding quilt ideas

Wedding quilt ideas

Old 02-05-2021, 12:36 PM

When my son and dil married, I made this quilt from a free pattern I found on free-quilting. com (link below)
I used more neutral colors, as they hung it in their den. My dil also likes stars, so I used several star theme fabrics; and my hubby made the star hangers.
img_20210205_124413.jpg

​​​​​​https://www.free-quilting.com/easy_q...ith_Hope_Love/
Old 02-05-2021, 12:46 PM

I agree with ignoring wedding colors. Ours were burgandy and cream...my attendants were brunette and I WAS blonde. No burgandy anyplace in my house! lol
Old 02-05-2021, 02:47 PM

I did one for my cousin and used a scrappy dresden fans. (1\4 of a plate - 5 blades.) I found it time consuming but relatively easy to put together. Foundation pieced onto 10" squares. Set on point. 2 Borders - mitered.

I'm in no position to evaluate your skill set but be sure you are ready for a DWR before you start. It's a big project. Your recipient will be thrilled with whatever you choose to give.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You might look into the Storm at Sea variation that has 2 interwoven hearts in the pattern. I think Storm at Sea has paper piecing units or Inklingo templates also.
I’m heeding alll the advice about the DWR. Thanks for this suggestion- I did see the 2 heart option, but I think I like this one better (with four). I *think I can do these with freezer paper. I wish I had an inkjet printer- inklingo is new to me.

https://etsy.me/2LOuFhs
Old 02-06-2021, 04:47 AM

Donna Jordan (Jordan Fabrics) recently did a Labyrinth quilt that is supposed to be easy/beginner level. You might take a look at that one as the "squares" interlock and might go with the idea of joining together in marriage.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:54 AM

Only close friends and family get a quilt, only if I know they will appreciate the work put into a quilt. I check there registry for color and size. If I want to get started on it earlier I just ask the bride for likes/color. I made my nephew/godchild a picnic quilt. Then made a large bag put in the bag, graham crackers, chocolate bars, marshmellows, roasting sticks and the quilt fit also.
Irish Chain, Carpenter Star, Disappearing 9 Patch, are fairly easy. If you go to fabric sites most will have free patterns.