Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Learn from my mistake...blue disappearing marker >

Learn from my mistake...blue disappearing marker

Learn from my mistake...blue disappearing marker

Old 02-15-2021, 09:57 AM

Default Learn from my mistake...blue disappearing marker

I always use a blue marker that disappears with water to mark my quilts and have never had a problem until now, so learn from my mistake.
I marked what I thought was everything, sandwiched with 80/20 and a layer of 100% wool batting on top and then needed to mark one more line. Well..parts of that line will not come out. They disappear when I blot them with water, but show up again when it dries. I'm assuming that the pen soaked into the wool and keeps bleeding back onto the quilt top, which is white. This is a wallhanging and was not meant to be washed.
Not sure if this will only happen with wool or if it would have happened with just 80/20 as well.
Maybe this post will save someone else some trouble. Mark everything first!
Watson

Old 02-15-2021, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Oh dear! If it is a localized spot, can you put that part over a basin and run water through over the marks and see if that removes it?
Old 02-15-2021, 01:29 PM

Watson - Sorry to hear about the situation - What brand is it? Perhaps contact the company customer service - they may have a suggestion. Hope a solution is offered.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

CostumeGirl ... Good Idea!

Watson ... Ouch! So sorry this has happened to you.
I didn't think that any of those type of markers would go beyond the surface, to cause the problem. Any chance you grabbed the wrong pen?

On another note to we four Ontarians .... anyone getting "that" storm they threatened about last night and all day? The odd flake has drifted down here, but that's about it! (here as in GGTA-W) Not that I really want it or anything, but shows how good the forecasting can be .... not!
Old 02-15-2021, 05:26 PM

It's 8:30 and snowing like mad, here. Supposed to get 25 cm...that's 10" for our American friends and more coming tomorrow.

When I turned the wallhanging over, the blue has seeped through the back, so I think I was right and the wool grabbed the marker and sucked it in. It wasn't the wrong marker because it came off everywhere else except the one line I marked after I sandwiched it.

Watson
Old 02-15-2021, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Nothing happening here. Not a flake. ..... yet!
Supposed to be the same here as far as accumulation. Being west of you, it just may change in the next few hours and by morning we'll be plastered!

A further thought ...... not sure how you have sandwiched it, but it sounds like the quilt top is OK. So ...... could you dismantle the whole thing? Then work with the quilt top to get it back to freshly pressed. Then re-mark, and reassemble the sandwich with different batting, just to be sure?

These things are always annoying ... and destroy the fun of doing them, aren't they?
Good Luck, Watson!

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-15-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:44 PM

When l couldn't get my blue ink to stay gone, a friend told me she always uses a que tip dipped in cup water with 1 tsp. baking soda added. It worked beautifully for me...even after my blue had gone thru batting to back ( l had to dab back too).
l'm in eastern Ont., ( near Belleville) we have the same forecast...nothing yet. But we can still get it later,lol.

Last edited by stitch678; 02-15-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:49 PM

Stitch is right on target. The water with baking soda will neutralize. When I use on customer quilt I always let them know that best, first time to wash, to actually not use any detergent as that will set it-instead just use cold water. But you are right, it will soak into the bat and keep reappearing unless it's soaked completely out. (top,bat,back).
Old 02-15-2021, 08:05 PM

Stitch678 - Now that you mention it I think I remember a few years ago a guild member talking about using water & baking soda to remove ink stains - glad that it worked for you!
Watson it might be worth a try

Ontario Friends - It's almost 11 pm here in the Windsor area and the storm is definitely in full swing - snowing and blowing like crazy - wind is really whipping around - we probably have about 4-5" (at least 12 cm ) right now and it's supposed to continue through the night and taper off about 9 am. - Will be snow blower & shoveling fun tomorrow!
Old 02-15-2021, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

CostumeGirl .... No! Shoveling is NOT fun! D)
Midnight and all is calm here, and not a flake yet. Maybe it is going to stay down closer to the lake and not come above the 401 to us? (says she who will probably wake up buried!!!!!!!)