Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
suggestions for shows on Netflix >

suggestions for shows on Netflix

suggestions for shows on Netflix

Old 03-01-2021, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by My time View Post
Peaky Blinders is a good story but violent. The Queen's Gambit was great. Marvelous Mrs. Mavel was great. Really funny. Unorthodox was really good if you don't mind subtitles. Many of the murder mysteries are good as well.
I liked, "Unorthodox." It was a good glimpse of what it is like in the closed off, Hasidic Jewish world...especially for a woman.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Started watching, "Peaky Blinders," and got hooked. It has such an odd title; you'd never know what it's about. I see the show as a cross between, "The Godfather," and "Downton Abbey." Love it!
Is it still on Netflix? My sister said it was really good.

We just saw The Sinner- it is super weird but I have to say we liked it. Bill Pullman is great in it.
But like I said- it's a weird set of stories (3 in all)
Old 03-02-2021, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Started watching, "Peaky Blinders," and got hooked. It has such an odd title; you'd never know what it's about. I see the show as a cross between, "The Godfather," and "Downton Abbey." Love it!
according to my son, who's a bit of an information nerd, there really were Romany gangs in industrial English cities like Birmingham, etc at turn of century and between the wars, and they really did use their peaked caps (hence the name) with bits of glass sewn in the fronts (cause razors were still straight edges at that time ) to use as weapons.

But seriously, any show with Cillian Murphy and "those eyes!" , right?

Another show we are catching on PBS is Miss Scarlet and the Duke--it's set about the same time frame and we really like it too.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Looking for recommendations for shows on Netflix. Somewhere I saw people recommending "something Lane". Now I've forgotten the first word. Can somebody fill in the word for me, please? And I'd like other suggestions of actual entertainment --good stuff! I think I've watched all the episodes of Virgin River and loved that one.
I'm watching Heartland very good.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:57 PM

Default Netflix

I'm watching Heartland very good
Old 03-03-2021, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
according to my son, who's a bit of an information nerd, there really were Romany gangs in industrial English cities like Birmingham, etc at turn of century and between the wars, and they really did use their peaked caps (hence the name) with bits of glass sewn in the fronts (cause razors were still straight edges at that time ) to use as weapons.

But seriously, any show with Cillian Murphy and "those eyes!" , right?

Another show we are catching on PBS is Miss Scarlet and the Duke--it's set about the same time frame and we really like it too.
I knooowww....those eyes. He's a good actor too. I'm totally mesmerized by him.

The Godfather I and II are my favorite movies of all time. (Leave the gun, take the cannolli.) This show has so many similarities. "Michael, is so much like, "Tommy."
Old 03-03-2021, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

I agree about The Godfather. Hands down one of the best movies ever made. My Dad didn't like anything Hollywood or TV. He only watched the news but........ he LOVED The Godfather movies.

tropit- did you watch The Sopranos? I think it's one of the best TV series ever ever ever!! (just my op though)
Old 03-03-2021, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I agree about The Godfather. Hands down one of the best movies ever made. My Dad didn't like anything Hollywood or TV. He only watched the news but........ he LOVED The Godfather movies.

tropit- did you watch The Sopranos? I think it's one of the best TV series ever ever ever!! (just my op though)
The Sopranos came along during those days when we gave up cable TV (2008ish...the Great recession) and were also in the process of moving, so I missed it. I've only seen a couple of episodes. I really should check it out.

I was reading up on Peaky Blinders and the writer said that he purposely didn't watch any other movies, or TV shows, for fear that he might be influenced by them. I dunno...the script definitely has some Godfather influence...no doubt about it. Lots of other people have noticed as well. Here's just one: https://vocal.media/geeks/peaky-blinders-the-godfather

Never the less, I still really like Peaky Blinders. I'm into season 4. My only complaint is that many of the female characters have medium length, dark, brown hair. I'm getting them all confused.

I also love Tom Hardy's and Adrien Brody's performances.

I really should be doing the bookkeeping.............nah.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

tropit- you need to watch The Sopranos !!!!
I think we saw it on Prime, maybe Netflix. When it came out I believe it was on HBO( didn't have it) which is why I just saw it last winter. It was made quite a long time ago. James Gandoloffini has been gone a long time. Wow, he was fab!!!
I want to watch it again!
Old 03-04-2021, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

The other night we watched Forrest Gump. I cannot believe I never saw it until now. What a wonderful movie! I loved every single moment of it.