Singer 600E

Old 03-08-2021, 11:11 AM

Default Singer 600E

What can you experts tell me about the Singer 600A? Thanks!
Old 03-08-2021, 11:29 AM

It was the precursor to the Touch & Sew (or "Cuss & Throw") machines.

They're pretty solid slant-needle machines, much like the Rocketeer, with some extra features. If I remember correctly, any model number before 628 is all-metal innards - somewhere around that model, Singer switched to plastic gears and the fill-in-place bobbin.

My mother-in-law had one and she was terrible on her machines - it had been non-functional for a while when she let me take it and refurb it - I spent days cleaning the old 3-in-1 out of it and got it sewing perfectly again. Gave her a bottle of TriFlow to use, instead.

She kept complaining that she couldn't get it to sew, but every time I tried it, it worked just great. She swore I "broke" her machine. Maybe she just wanted to buy a new one, I dunno. 😄
Old 03-08-2021, 01:05 PM

thepolyparrot, your post made me laugh. I have my mother's 301A. She complained constantly about the machine. I have it now and use it a lot and it rarely gives me any problems. I've decided the problems she had were mostly "user error" and not related to the machine at all!

I also have a user error story about my mom. After she had her stroke she lived with me for a while. Every day, she'd complain that the microwave didn't work. I'd go out in the kitchen, push the buttons and it would work. I finally watched her and she would come out in the morning without her glasses on and just blindly push buttons. The cancel button on my microwave was apparently where the start button was on hers. So instead of starting it, she was cancelling the whole operation. After that, when she'd complain it didn't work, I'd say "Mom, put your glasses on" The microwave magically worked when she put her glasses on!
Old 03-08-2021, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
The microwave magically worked when she put her glasses on!
😄 I can laugh, because I do stuff like this all the time!
Old 03-08-2021, 02:25 PM

I have a 600. I'm not sure if it is an A model or not. I suspect, but do not know that it might be a model A or a plain 600, as it has a riveted "touch and sew" label on it. I've not used it. I found it at an estate sale for $45.00 and bought it.

I've cleaned it up and that's about it. It's pretty much like the 400 and 500. It has the built in cams. It's all metal. The only difference I've noticed is the bobbin style and the way the bobbin winds. Mine has a button on the bed, the later 600s have the button in the bobbin area like the later touch and sews.

What else do you want to know?

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 03-08-2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: grammar