Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I sewed my finger!!!!! >

I sewed my finger!!!!!

I sewed my finger!!!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM

When I was very young (Like 7 or 8 years old) I was learning to sew on my mother's treadle sewing machine and ran the needle through my thumb more than a few times. I quickly learned not to jerk my hand back but to stop and raise the needle so that I could remove my hand. Don't remember if I got blood on what I was sewing, but I imagine that I did when I jerked my hand and tore the needle out of my thumb.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Ouch!!! Glad you didn't get any blood on your quilt.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 PM

You win for the scariest story!!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Oh, I am so sorry that I started reading this thread!!! Eek, I got the heebies reading some of these......

Yikes!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 PM

Been there, done that on my long arm quilting machine! Those machines have rather large needles too. Last summer, I was working on a customer quilt and in a hurry, sewed through my pointer fingernail in 2 places. An x-ray at the ER (on a Sunday night) showed no broken bones. It really didn't hurt much and my finger didn't bleed much or on the quilt either. It took about 2 months for all the feeling to come back in my fingertip. Right after everything was back to normal, I sliced off the side of the SAME finger with the rotary cutter. Thankfully, it healed just fine and I have finally learned to slow down!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM

oh yes, I have done that also . needle went right thru the finger, to this day I have a black spot there. luckly no blood and no broken needle. i guess I have been initiated into the sewing world.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:40 PM

At least, I have not sliced off any more than a finger nail with the rotary cutter.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 PM

I was practicing free motion quilting. The piece really didn't matter, it was just a scrap. But when I sewed through my thumb I thought I'd pass out, then wanted to swear and sit there... but I realized I had projects around that I DIDN'T want to bleed on, so I managed to get to the bathroom. Good thing I had had a tetanus shot fairly recently (and I hope all of you remember that issue!)

One of my friends has a daughter in the garment industry in NYC. This girl has sewed since she was a very young child... and she just managed to sew her finger.

Made me feel better, since the BOM at the LQS laughed uproariously at me.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 PM

I was practicing free motion quilting. The piece really didn't matter, it was just a scrap. But when I sewed through my thumb I thought I'd pass out, then wanted to swear and sit there... but I realized I had projects around that I DIDN'T want to bleed on, so I managed to get to the bathroom. Good thing I had had a tetanus shot fairly recently (and I hope all of you remember that issue!)

One of my friends has a daughter in the garment industry in NYC. This girl has sewed since she was a very young child... and she just managed to sew her finger.

Made me feel better, since the BOM at the LQS laughed uproariously at me.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 PM

Glad your finger is okay! I sewed through my finger, through my nail bed and didn't realize it until I noticed the needle was making a "thunking" sound. The needle had broken off in my finger!! I called my husband to bring a pair of pliers and two bandaids. He pulled the needle out and put the bandaid on. I left it on tight for about 1 minute (to stop the bleeding) and then took it off and put the second bandaid on looser and kept on sewing. I was on a roll!! Why stop because of a little needle in my finger. Of course, I had to change the needle on the machine, since it broke! *giggle* And you know that your saliva will take your blood out of fabric!!!