Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ISO pattern for pp 16 point Mariner's Compass to finish at 25 or 30 inch diameter >

ISO pattern for pp 16 point Mariner's Compass to finish at 25 or 30 inch diameter

ISO pattern for pp 16 point Mariner's Compass to finish at 25 or 30 inch diameter

Old 05-05-2021, 08:39 AM

Default ISO pattern for pp 16 point Mariner's Compass to finish at 25 or 30 inch diameter

I already have a book on how to draft a pattern - which looks like I may have to do. But before I start with that, thought I'd put it out there to find one already done. Trillium is listed on the internet as having one but no longer available I guess.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:20 AM

I have had patterns enlarged at one of the office supply places, so if you draw a 12 inch one, they can upsize it for you for a very reasonable cost.
A good example http://tlquilter.blogspot.com/2010/0...r-piecing.html

Have you seen this one? https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/ruler/233561

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 05-05-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Agree with BarbInLouisiana ..... if you have a Mariner's Compass pattern you like at any size, it can be enlarged at a copy store.

If you go this route, there's a couple things you might want to keep in mind ...
* A nice block in a small size doesn't always look as nice at a considerably larger size. What I am meaning is that it can be very detailed and complex in the smaller size, but when enlarged, there may not be enough detail for you to be happy. Colouring in your enlarged with crayons or markers might be a good idea, before starting to work with fabric.

* Because you want a block so large, look for a copy place that can do large size paper copies. Too messy to start gluing sheets of paper together. Better to have what you want on one piece of paper.

All is possible ... this can be an incredible project!
Good Luck!
Old 05-05-2021, 02:26 PM

An office supply store did enlargements for me in Colorado for a Family Tree Chart. they have to know the machine though. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:23 AM

If you're looking for something already designed, take a look at Judy Niemeyer patterns. She has some beautiful Mariner's Compass designs. Her patterns and directions are very detailed. When reading through the pattern (before any cutting, lol), the directions seem extremely tedious and painful. But if you just follow everything step-by-step the way she instructs, it works quite well.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:09 AM

I have this CD and love it. You can print out your pattern at whatever size you want....
https://www.quiltpro.com/productPage/Mar_Compass_Vol1
Old 05-16-2021, 07:14 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions about getting the pattern enlarged. Sharing - I found a free one today, along with several other free star quilt patterns

http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com...piration)&m=1e one:
Old 05-16-2021, 09:17 AM

Some nice, free patterns on that site! Thanks!

Watson