Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Blade Sharpeners - Do they work? >

Rotary Blade Sharpeners - Do they work?

Rotary Blade Sharpeners - Do they work?

Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
No blade sharpener on the market for home use will return a blade to "like new." They do, however, extend the useful life of blades and can help us save money once we find one we like and can use properly.

I have used:

1. the orbital sharpener - the design seems to make a lot of sense; it comes with two different "stones", one of which is supposed to help a little with damaged/nicked blades. there's a learning curve with this type of sharpener that i couldn't seem to get through, so it ended up in my collection of tools i never use. i'm sure it must work if used properly or it wouldn't still be on the market. i just couldn't get the hang of it.

2. TrueCut Linear blade sharpener - of the manual sharpeners i've tried, this one requires the least physical effort and was the least tiring on my hands and wrists. the stone can be replaced if it ever wears out (although i think that would take longer than i have left on the mortal plane. LOL) it came with very good instructions. when i first got it, i played with it for a bit and then set it aside. as with most tools, it also takes some practice. and - also as usual - i was not patient enough to practice. i found it, recently, while re-organizing my stuff. on a whim, i decided to give it another whirl. whaddya know ... i had more success this time around. i think i need a bit more practice to keep the blade moving smoothly against the stone. you do have to use it properly and carefully, though. i wrecked one blade because i was careless and too heavy-handed. the price has gone up quite a bit since i bought mine. if you can find it on sale somewhere, it would be worth consideration.

3. the plastic, manual sharpeners with the sand paper discs - they seem expensive for what they are, but i have gotten the most consistent and closest-to-new results with these. and no learning curve. the sandpaper discs do wear out, and need to be replaced from time to time. using them is a workout, though. definitely not a good idea for anybody with arthritic hand or wrist joints, for example.

4. the TrueCut electric sharpener. a bit pricey, but produces results very similar to #3, above. it comes with good instructions and has virtually no learning curve. i recommend ear plugs while running it, and definitely recommend you not drop it. mine still works, but i have to hold the lid down because the little latch broke when it hit my concrete floor.

None of them are inexpensive but if you can find one that works well for you, they will pay for themselves over time.
Ditto!!
I have used #1 above and wore the sandpaper side out pretty quickly, It worked quite well before it wore out, but I was always a little squeamish about using it. You have to handle the blades several times to sharpen them. I have arthritis and the fine motor coordination is really bad in my hands. I had visions of hurting myself! When I saw #2 on Amazon, it made a great deal of sense to me. I bought it and love it. No, it doesn't sharpen them like new, but Yes, you can get a whole lot more use out of your blades with it. I have one blade that I've sharpened 6-7 times and it's still going strong!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Patrice,
Thanks for the very well thought out reviews. One of my friends bought a sharpener, don't know which one, she hasn't been happy with it.
I also have discovered the carpet blades from harbor freight. They're not as long lasting as the ones from the fabric store but do work fine.
Cindy
Old 02-19-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I have the sharpener with the sandpaper and think it works OK. I do not think that is one sharpens to a new blade but it will help to make blade sharper but not like new. Also if there is a nick in the blade it will not take it out. Buy it at Joanns with coupon and it is worth it. All that said- I use the carpet blades form Harbor Freight 2 blades for $2 so I really don't care if I sharpen a blade.
For the blades from Harbor Freight - do you use the carpet cutter tool or a rotary cutter? There's a Harbor Freight down the street and I never thought to look there!
Old 07-05-2021, 12:31 PM

I bought the Harbor Freight blades but found they had a different center hole and didn't fit my Olfa cutter. What kind of cutter would fit them?
Old 07-05-2021, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by moroni View Post
I bought the Harbor Freight blades but found they had a different center hole and didn't fit my Olfa cutter. What kind of cutter would fit them?
Those are intended for cutting carpets during installation. You'd probably need to pick up the cutter itself at HF also, but there's not a lot of quilters who say these blades work well.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:54 AM

I have a manual it is in a drawer somewhere. That says it all.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by moroni View Post
Interesting .... I have several packages of these - I use them all the time. Maybe I am lucky, but they fit my Olfa just fine.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:01 PM

I use a padded fabric base when I use my Electronic TrueCut 2. It has helped cut down the noise. My blades are better when I sharpen them. I only have one blade that would not sharpen.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:13 AM

I've had 4 different types, they worked for one or two slices thru, then were just as dull as before I spent the money.