Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Has this ever happened to you?? >

Has this ever happened to you??

Has this ever happened to you??

Old 07-29-2021, 06:57 AM

Default Has this ever happened to you??

I am moving things around in a major reorganization all based around finally getting an actual sewing table where I can lower my machine to table height for quilting -- it will be a big help for me but means everything currently in my sewing room has to go, and the table gets picked up Saturday.

Anyway, I'm moving things around in other parts of my house and I found a sewing machine that I don't remember! I don't know anything about it. It's a beauty but not the sort of thing I'm usually into. No thrift store sticker so probably something that was just handed to me (yes, almost total strangers/people periodically hand me machines and boxes and handfuls of fabric) or maybe to my husband? Where it was, it hadn't been there all that long but I have no recollection at all!

I figured if anyone could understand coming across an unexpected sewing machine in your house, it would be this crew

So here's the quickie photo before I get back to organizing. Looks like everything there for a Singer Stylist 457, great shape and clean as it can be in the case. I like the sock technique for dealing with the cord! So sorry I don't have time to play with it,, but not only is a new sewing table coming this weekend but I also won an auction for a beauty of a Singer Hand Crank!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer Stylist.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	792.4 KB
ID:	634745  
Old 07-29-2021, 07:37 AM

looks like a good machine
Old 07-29-2021, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Sounds reasonable to find a forgotten machine. We moved from our house of 25 plus years and I uncovered many forgotten or never knew about items. I learned my lesson about keeping things or taking things only because they are good things.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:16 AM

Well, I'm not feeling too bad, have figured it out. A couple of months ago (May) I was helping my cousin with her new in a box machine and getting it set up to do curtains. While we were there, she had this machine which had been given to her by a friend/her husband's family which she was passing on to me. I said "oh sure" and my husband took it out to the car without me ever opening the case and then he brought it home, put it at the far end of the couch (behind the dog bed even) and then put stuff on top of it. All with me never touching it until today.

I feel bad but not as bad as I did this morning!

I'm watching Craig's List for the next "free sewing/craft stuff wanted" ad. I'll have stuff.. maybe including this machine. It won't get used or appreciated here.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Was he trying to hide it? LOL I would have noticed a pile of stuff not there before except in my sewing room.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:30 AM

No, he was filling available space, it was an empty dark corner with a wicker dog basket in front of it that covered most of the front and he had some large shoe boxes stacked on top of the case. We have been going through closets and reorganizing things for the past year and we do have stored things in places.

So yeah, I feel bad that I didn't notice or sweep that corner but at least it had only been weeks/months and not years!

When we were at my cousin's, I had been intent on dealing with the machine in front of me and this one just didn't penetrate my brain. I have a rule that if I bring something into the house, like I am now with my sewing table and the hand crank, that something has to go out. Lots of stuff going out, most of which has been earmarked for a long time but now is the motivation.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:40 AM

You still have available space?? Lucky you. But this discovery is a good one. Once you get to try it out and check out a bit of info on it it will be great.
I have found things on occasion that I don't remember getting but never a sewing machine.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:28 AM

It hasn't happened yet but, I see that happening in my future. A friend and I just went to lunch and we were counting our machines and talking about the stories behind them. I kept thinking of machines that I have that I have tucked away in places.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:39 AM

I have something a bit like that - every once in a while I'll get to thinking about a machine I should have, but don't remember seeing for a while. Then I have to go look in cabinets to see if I can find it.

Before we moved 18 months ago, I had machines tucked all over the place, now they are all up in the sewing room.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:18 AM

Oh no Macybaby you moved? I have been absent from this site for a few years. I remember you spending a lot of time building your "museum" in a building on your property? That would be hard to leave!