Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is the 1/4" seam a must for you? >

Is the 1/4" seam a must for you?

Is the 1/4" seam a must for you?

Old 08-04-2021, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I stopped doing block swaps too. There is always someone that does not follow the rules and has the poor me, everyone is so mean, if called out on it. The jerk gets near perfect blocks, the others get her unusable blocks.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:25 PM

I have recently been using a 3/8" seam allowance. Really like having that little bit extra. Doesn't work for my flying geese, etc, using the 4 at a time patterns, but all in all a good design change.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:31 PM

I have recently changed my seam allowance to 3/8" and it really works for me. Even though my rulers all show an accurate 1/4" that seems to be too small for me when It comes to joining with other units.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:38 PM

Other than cutting pieces a scant larger and aiming for a scant 1/4 inch I don't focus on the actual seam allowance. However I do have a six inch ruler that I use to check my finished units. If they are off then they get a redo. I'm very hard on myself, I may let a 16th inch off go but that is the limit. My goal is to always do my best, or if it's difficult, do the best I can. That said I haven't finished very many quilts.