Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2021 >

What are we organizing today 2021

What are we organizing today 2021

Old 08-19-2021, 06:54 PM

Not sewing related but I have a file system for papers in a plastic milk crate. One file for every month. Any paperwork goes in the file. When I start a new month, I inventory the file folder & shred anything I wish to discard because it’s now 1 year old. I do keep credit card statements (and receipts) for several years so they stay in the folder. Makes paperwork very manageable for me.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:32 AM

still working on getting everything cleaned up. Realized i still had boxes of stuff downstairs so, while I was loving the clean, easy to get around space, I knew i needed to get everything together. Doesn’t really work to get organized with only part of your things! Have to find spots for it all!!!! So back to stuff everywhere and no project being worked on!
kids go back to school this next week and they will allow me more time for my studio!!!
Old 08-20-2021, 04:17 AM

I did more in the sewing room yesterday! First off, I took down the curtain rod and put up the bamboo screen to filter the light. Before I sat at right angles to the window, now I'm looking out due west and the evening sun is blinding! Good thing I mostly sew in the mornings, I still might need to put up a big piece of cardboard over the window if I am intent on sewing at sunset.

Then I moved the desk from the wall where it was at to the wall where it will be. That meant clearing off the desk and detaching the stereo components. Neither of which was too hard. The desk is Brandt Ranch Oak and heavy, had to pull the drawers out and I could handle two of the full drawers but needed hubby for the third.

But all the boxes of fabric which had been moved back into the sewing room had to be moved to the center of the room, and then moved to the wall where the desk was. In the final round, the piano currently in family/computer room will go to that wall.

In big news -- I opened the closet! Now that I've gotten to it, it isn't that huge a deal. Yes, there is mostly sleeping bags and a bed frame. Maybe 6 boxes on the floor that I have no idea of what is in them, I think things from my son's childhood.

That was enough for yesterday, and today too. I was so stiff this morning could barely get out of bed, but I'm drinking my coffee and loosening back up.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:21 PM

tranum: I used that file system until a few years ago when I switched over to mostly online.

Fizzle: Good luck with continuing your organization when the kids go back to school.

Iceblossom: Wahoo to opening the closet!
Old 08-21-2021, 08:43 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I’ve been trying to tame the scraps. I’ve got scraps stuffed here and there and everywhere. Time to combine and use up what I can.
Old 08-22-2021, 04:24 PM

Welcome luvTooQuilt! You sound like me with scraps stuffed here and there. I have most of them divided by color or theme but there are still some that have not found a home.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:38 PM

I spent the last two weeks organizing my sewing fabrics and my sewing desk. It was a monster of a job. But as I worked little by little, it worked out. I could hardly believe it as I got EVERYTHING into it’s place. I was not expecting my older sister to fly in. I haven’t seen her since the pandemic started. Well, she was unexpectedly interested in joining me in the quilt making. Within ten minutes I had ALL her supplies ready; a sewing machine, bobbins, threads, rotary cutters, scissors, wool pressing mat, cutting mat, needles, rulers, and fabrics….. and she has spent the day sewing and cutting, pressing and planning. I am beyond thrilled that I had everything so well organized! She and my mom are helping me to make a quilt for another sister, as well as a few others. It has been so gratifying. I am just so thankful. Thanks for all your good ideas on the organizing front. It helped keep me on track.

‘’I don’t have shelving for my fabric stash. Since I live very rurally and the fabric store is a few hours away, that stash is important. I finally came up with the idea of using suitcases. The suitcases are organized by colors, a few colors per case. Then I can store them under the bed, etc. it is working for me. Just another idea that I wanted to share in case someone else can use it. Happy sewing!
Old 08-23-2021, 07:09 AM

We got a lot done this weekend, most of it not in the sewing room but it is all related. We got the wall mount TV mounted on the wall! Seems like a small thing but it's our first upgrade to this technology level. Our other flat screen is not wall mounted.

My goal for today is to reconnect the stereo connections. Shouldn't be that hard a thing to do The nice sturdy easy to work with stand that they are now on was in the sewing room a week ago.

I need to find a better solution to my vinyl album storage. We're dealing with somewhere close to 1k? albums and they are heavy and being on the concrete in the converted garage/family room was not good. (When I bought the house the room was carpeted, due to my allergies we had to remove it.) The entire old flimsy entertainment center had to be emptied. The old "no def fat screen" that still has a great picture and works just fine went to the Goodwill. The entertainment center then got moved about a foot so the new shelves could fit in the corner. It was enough space that the albums that didn't fit before fit now.

I have an idea to build a stand that should be fairly easy, I'm hoping to go to my RE-PC store and find some of the old CRT computer monitor risers, back before we had flat screens they were to bring the screens up to more ergonomic level. There used to be bins and bins and bins of them... I think they've large been dispersed by now but those things can take a ton of weight if I can find about 8-10 of them that are the same, they will be the base for some simple cubes about 14" square (albums are just over 12", most common cubes finish 12" on the inside if not the outside too).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	old tv.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	743.7 KB
ID:	635152   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6184.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	783.4 KB
ID:	635153  
Old 08-23-2021, 07:45 AM

Luvtoquilt and grammas girl- welcome to the organizing thread. Jump right in and share any tips or tricks you've tried or heard about that work for you or that you want to try. We're a friendly bunch and all enjoy hearing about and seeing what others are doing.

Iceblossom- way to go on getting the new tv mounted on the wall and getting the old one out of your space quickly. When I'm allowed to lift more than 15 pounds, I'm going to go on a hunt for all the old electronics that we have replaced, but not re-homed.

One of the things I've noticed since I began trying to get organized and decluttered a number of years ago is that my house is much easier to clean than it used to be- which is a big win given that both DH and I have allergies!

Rob

Old 08-23-2021, 04:28 PM

Welcome Grandma’s girl! Congratulations on getting your sewing area organized!

Iceblossom: Way to go with mounting your tv! It’s fun when our ideas take shape.