Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend—Nov 25-28, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend—Nov 25-28, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend—Nov 25-28, 2021

Old 11-28-2021, 03:19 AM

Thanks for this thread. I just finished a Hunter's Star in Christmas colors, but not Christmas fabric. What was I thinking?? At least all the blocks (48) are done and pinned to the design wall. It's La Belle in Deb Tucker's book. i cut it on the Accuquilt and would never, never get it together is it wasn't cutting, but only 2 layers at one time. I was trying to push 8 layers through that poor little machine, just an old "go". I made two other disasters learning this. Also bought a new die.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:13 AM

Shucks, I missed this VQW…I had office duty all weekend for real estate and my favorite DSM is in the shop for it’s annual checkup and maintenance (however it has been two year).

Thank you RaggieMom for hosting the thread…I will look for the next one.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:38 AM

I'm always so impressed with what everyone is doing. This first clue of the Bonnie Hunter project wasn't too time consuming or hard so I'm pretty much done with a week to go, so I'll have to get out an extra project.

I have some thrift store large (over 12") cross stitch blocks from the 1970s that I will pull out and start working on. The blocks were the pre-printed type and the fabric pretty flimsy, first I want to back each block with a square of batiste, I will also put in a thin layer of batting and connect it all with careful quilting within the cross-stitch pattern. Then, I'll put the blocks together with sashing I've already cut.

But the real story for today is we are claiming the Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue quilt as a lucky quilt -- Michigan beat Ohio yesterday in a good game with lots of good ball played on both sides... but Blue won!
Old 11-28-2021, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
But the real story for today is we are claiming the Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue quilt as a lucky quilt -- Michigan beat Ohio yesterday in a good game with lots of good ball played on both sides... but Blue won!
Charmed squares!
Old 11-28-2021, 03:08 PM

Got my deep cleaning done and fabric for the next blocks starched, pressed and cut, now another bazillion HST to make. I even managed to get one block made so I am happy with my progress. Thanks for hosting Heather, I will see everyone at the next VQW.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:44 PM

Well, I almost reached my goal for the weekend. Only 2 blocks left for Harriet's Journey, one is an applique that will take a week or more but the other one I just couldn't start today. Y seams and more fiddley pieces - I had enough! But I did finish 13 blocks so that's pretty good. Thanks for hosting Heather!
Old 11-28-2021, 04:44 PM

Just a reminder that next months VQW is December 17-19. I managed to finish my ufos for this month. Just need to put the grommets on the shower curtain tomorrow. It’s been a productive weekend for me and for many of you as well from the sounds of it! 😀 See you all next month.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:14 PM

I got the batting cut for my stockings and the batting pinned to the fabric. I started quilting the fronts.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:50 AM

Heather - you will absolutely have another hobby if you break open that diamond painting kit, but it is so much fun and works up so quick that for me, it's an excellent side hobby to my quilting. From start to finish, it took me roughly a week to finish one that measures about 12 x 24", and that's just me sitting down for fifteen or twenty minutes at a time and then the longer hour-long sessions when they cropped up. I like having something else other than quilting occupying my brain because if I stumble across a problem in a pattern, I can sit and diamond paint and get my brain moving another direction. A lot of the time, a solution to a problem crops up that I didn't think about originally and I can go back and fix it without too much fuss. Anyone that enjoys puzzles will absolutely have a blast with the diamond painting.

My organizer didn't come together like I had hoped, so it is in the trash. I'm going to have to look at the original pattern on my laptop and figure out what happened, but when I printed it off, I didn't print an entire section for some reason and jumped ahead so much into it that I made some crucial mistakes and I can't go back and fix them. I'm not upset or mad, usually when I start a new project like this one the first ends up in the trash anyway and I can find a better way to make it along the way. If anyone is interested, the link below will take you to the pattern, it's super cute and fairly easy to put together and I have plans to make several more for other things. My hexagon kit will get the first one, then another one for my soft sculpture tools and another to sit next to my sewing machine. These would make some excellent gifts, too!

This Bag is Great for Sewing Supplies and More - Quilting Digest
Old 11-29-2021, 09:13 AM

This is what I got done this weekend!!