Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Anne's closing >

Jo Anne's closing

Jo Anne's closing

Old 09-29-2010, 05:40 PM

Donna Jean,
I love this quilting pattern with the hearts. Where did you get this? Let me know by writing me, amy@[email protected]
Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM

There is a JoAnns on Hwy 6 south-they are moving to SW frwy past hwy 6 near the Brazos river-in the Lowe's shopping center-would that be close to you
Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by donnajean
I don't have a Hancock's or Hobby Lobby anywhere near me and the closest "still open" quilt shop it almost an hr. away.
same here.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:48 PM

if i had all those other stores close by i def wouldnt be worried about losing my joanns not such a loss here!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 PM

We only have Joann's and a few local quilt shops(some of them take 30 min or more to get to. No Hobby Lobby. Hancocks moved out of the entire Pittsburgh area about 8 years ago. I miss them.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 AM

For all the local Houston/Katy girls....heard the news. The JoAnns super store will be on I-10 just west of Fry Rd, in the old Linen and Things space. Woo Hoo, supposed to open after the first of the year. Now isn't that special! Also noticed a new thread about WalMart bringing back fabric, decided we complained to much! LOL
Old 12-20-2010, 05:45 PM

I just found out about the Sugar Land location from my mom who lives near the old location. She actually applied for a job at the new location! She has been sewing for more than 50 years so I am hoping she will get a part-time job.

And the Joanns in SL was so sad...I was hoping for a new store -- of course they do it right after I move to NC! And as far as I can tell, there are no Joanns near Charlotte. But we do have Hancock Fabrics. But I always liked Cloth World/Joanns better!
Old 01-07-2022, 11:08 PM

In my area, SF East Bay, Fremont through Hayward, Joanne's is closing, Walmart has downsized sewing dept, Michael's is closing (not much sewing anyway, but crafters are now in trouble too). We have no quilt shops. Unless I drive far, I'm stuck with online shopping. It's ok, but only if I don't need to match colors. I don't like it. (same with online clothes).
Old 01-08-2022, 04:38 AM

Our Joann's is in a good location, and is the closest to me, offers many different craft items and has an extensive amount of quilting fabric. Hobby Lobby is on the other side of town, but I very seldom buy fabric there as it seems like it never changes. The closest quilt shop is about 20 miles away as the crow flies, and there another one across the state line. The last one is a dark place and I can never see the actual color of the fabric. But you know what? I'm an online buyer and only go to the shops if I need something special that is carried there. I've just realized that I'm one of THOSE people who are putting brick and mortor shops out of business. Shame on me......must make an effort to do more business in these shops in 2022.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs View Post
In my area, SF East Bay, Fremont through Hayward, Joanne's is closing, Walmart has downsized sewing dept, Michael's is closing (not much sewing anyway, but crafters are now in trouble too). We have no quilt shops. Unless I drive far, I'm stuck with online shopping. It's ok, but only if I don't need to match colors. I don't like it. (same with online clothes).
Isn’t there a quilt shop in the Niles area of Fremont? I haven’t been there but I saw it online. Of course, depending on where you are in Union City, it still might be a drive.

But I feel for you. 20 years ago, my town had 2 full service fabric stores. The last of these closed in 2020. We have a (very) small quilt shop. And with a 20 to 30 minute drive we can get to several quilt shops and, in the opposite direction, a Jo Ann’s.