Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New policy at LQS >

New policy at LQS

New policy at LQS

Old 03-03-2022, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Wow, that's quite a tough policy. Who would want to buy a machine knowing that? I can understand fabric but yikes, machines are costly. My Bernina dealer will not let her customers go home less than ecstatic over their machine and keeps it that way.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:45 AM

From watching the People's Court for many years, I learned there is something called an implied warranty of merchantability. Meaning the thing should do what it is supposed to do. If you buy a machine, take it home, and it doesn't work, you have every right to get your money back. Doesn't matter how many signs the store has up, or their policies. Now you likely would have to go to small claims court to pursue it, but I believe you would win.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
From watching the People's Court for many years, I learned there is something called an implied warranty of merchantability. Meaning the thing should do what it is supposed to do. If you buy a machine, take it home, and it doesn't work, you have every right to get your money back. Doesn't matter how many signs the store has up, or their policies. Now you likely would have to go to small claims court to pursue it, but I believe you would win.
I think you would win.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Wow, that's quite a tough policy. Who would want to buy a machine knowing that? I can understand fabric but yikes, machines are costly. My Bernina dealer will not let her customers go home less than ecstatic over their machine and keeps it that way.
My Bernina dealer was the same. Sadly, she has retired and sold her store. The new owners were very good, but they too have retired now and sold their 2 stores. The new owners seem okay but they have moved the store to a place that's not at all easy to get to from my house. I guess I'll have to start using the other new Bernina store and see how it goes.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
Whenever I've purchased a new machine, in the box, in the store, I've had them unbox it. I insisted they show me that it actually runs and stitches as it should. Who knows how the machine was handled in shipping, storage, etc. Always have them demo it for you before you buy, that way you know it works. If the store is not willing to do that, then go someplace else.
Very good tip! If I buy a new machine again I will try to make the "unboxing" appointment and the free "How to use your machine" class at the same time. With everything being computerized, I would want to know that all is well before I leave.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:50 AM

Well, I can agree with the no return of fabric and notions (after all, there ARE some people who will use the ruler/template still in the package/plastic wrap and try to return them after they finished their project - they don't want to actually pay for that specialty ruler they needed for a class) but the machine.....I guess it all depends. They should be trying the machine out at the store in the same manner they will be using it i.e. sewing, embroidery, stitching thick seams (as in bag making). And how long are people waiting to make returns? Maybe some are buying a machine at full price shortly before it goes on sale and then returning it and repurchasing at the sale price. Yes, I would talk to the store owner.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:59 AM

It sometimes only takes a few difficult customers to result in things like this. We had a neighbor who routinely bought new shoes, dresses, crafting supplies, used them and then returned them. She was always trying to talk the neighbors into her type of returning as it "saves me a lot of money". Yikes! Of all my machines I have bought, that one Bernina was the only one I returned. It was however after the tech attempted to repair it three times and I did end up paying a little more than the difference between what I paid for it and the newer machine. I suppose I could have made an issue of that because it really was, I believe a lemon. I am happy with the new one and have not had issues so far with it.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:19 AM

You are fortunate to have 3 LQSs to choose from. I have 3 in my county but 1 doesn't carry sewing machines and 2 of them have a limited supply of sewing notions. I feel sorry for all independent business owners at this time. We have had so many small businesses close during the past 2 years and it's a shame when they were such nice shops, but they couldn't survive the shut-downs. I would never dream of returning fabric or a machine since the LQS I deal with does their own service on the premises and are always so accomodating.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:52 AM

This store won't be in business long. Find another dealer. My last 4 Janomes I purchased from reputable online dealers never been disappointed never had a bad machine. Always had free shipping and no tax, plus if the machine was less somewhere else, they matched the price.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:47 AM

This has been the policy of the biggest machine dealer in Portland for YEARS. I'm puzzled that so many others don't do it.