Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with Missouri Star  :( >

Disappointed with Missouri Star :(

Disappointed with Missouri Star :(

Old 03-09-2022, 04:04 AM

I agree that you should find something else to use the backing for or sell it to someone else who will use it up for something smaller and can cut around the holes.
I still love Missouri Star Quilt Co. but do wish they would go back to using the post office instead of FedEx. Shipping by FedEx the package has to go to multiple states before reaching its destination. Seems to be that the postal service was faster than two weeks to get an order. Maybe we should be writing to Missouri Star instead of complaining on a blog.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I agree that you should find something else to use the backing for or sell it to someone else who will use it up for something smaller and can cut around the holes.
I still love Missouri Star Quilt Co. but do wish they would go back to using the post office instead of FedEx. Shipping by FedEx the package has to go to multiple states before reaching its destination. Seems to be that the postal service was faster than two weeks to get an order. Maybe we should be writing to Missouri Star instead of complaining on a blog.

I agree. Talk to the company. They can make changes to keep us as customers.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:29 AM

Though I’m not a business owner, I do understand that a 30-day return policy makes sense in terms of accounting, inventory etc. At some point, they have to know that the transaction is settled and move on, and 30 days should really be enough time for the customer to make sure s/he’s happy with the product.

That said, it would be a nice customer service for them to offer you a coupon on a future purchase, or some other simple goodwill gesture.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Disappointing for sure! The small holes may be clothes moth damage and would not show up until washed. As for not using it, I would add some appliqués.
Yes, I was thinking the same, add applique over the holes and I would take a small seam and sew the other part shut. Ugh on them not working with you. Obviously something had happened with this large piece of fabric.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I am always perplexed when I read to appliqué over something. How do you get a random issue not to look like a patch? I guess one could appliqué over with the same fabric and maybe with a lot of quilting would be hidden? What always comes to my old mind is back I. The day when a child tore the knees of pants we were told to appliqué a strawberry over it! Being the thick ones sold on a card! Anyway what is the technique? Same fabric or a new design
Old 03-09-2022, 06:36 AM

Reading some of these posts about being disappointed with ordered fabric, I still want to buy my fabric where I can see, touch and feel the quality. Although, those places are becoming less all the time. Sorry for your orders not being up to standard.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I haven't had a lot of luck with wide backings for the same reason, they aren't wound straight on the bolt so I end up way way off. I have gone back to either using a sheet or piecing a backing out of yardage or muslin.
After ordering 108" backing from two different places, I'm just about ready to do the same thing. I'll use Legacy muslin from JoAnns and seam it.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
The few times I've bought wide backings I've lost a lot at the ends because of being off grain, plus to me they are a pain to prewash and iron! I'd rather deal with seaming regular width fabric for backing.

Daffy
Yep...I used wide backings for a while. some were decent, some a nightmare. I did decide to always buy an extra half yard no matter what because of the uneven edges, figured I would use that extra fabric somewhere, but I also found, that quality of the backings sometimes was not up to snuff. So, Yep, I look for on sale regular yardage to make my backings with, easier to handle and not that hard to stitch together with a walking foot. Now, I just line up the selvedges after cutting it into the lengths I need, stitch the selvedges together using at least a 1 and a quarter seam, then trim the selvages off with my scissors. Could use my rotary cutter but my big cutting table is on another floor so I just sit in my sewing chair and trim. Works well for me and there is a lot more choice in the fabrics to use for the backing. Oh, and I also leave the outer selvages on and use those to pin to my leaders on my long arm, those of course also get trimmed off after I get doe quilting.

Last edited by sewingpup; 03-09-2022 at 07:51 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-09-2022, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
The few times I've bought wide backings I've lost a lot at the ends because of being off grain, plus to me they are a pain to prewash and iron! I'd rather deal with seaming regular width fabric for backing.

Daffy
Yep...I used wide backings for a while. some were decent, some a nightmare. I did decide to always buy an extra half yard no matter what because of the uneven edges, figured I would use that extra fabric somewhere, but I also found, that quality of the backings sometimes was not up to snuff. So, Yep, I look for on sale regular yardage to make my backings with, easier to handle and not that hard to stitch together with a walking foot. Now, I just line up the selvedges after cutting it into the lengths I need, stitch the selvedges together using at least a 1 and a quarter seam, then trim the selveges off with my scissors. Could use my rotary cutter but my big cutting table is on another floor so I just sit in my sewing chair and trim. Works well for me and there is a lot more choice in the fabrics to use for the backing.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

When I buy wide backing I always get a half yard or more extra. No problem squaring it up. Every big name fabric shop online from Missouri Star, Quilt in a Day, Accuquilt, and Fat Quarter Shop have wacky shipping these days. My Jan Dec order from Fat Quarter shop got here the first of March. Accuquilt takes several weeks or four days, never know. Waiting more then thirty days to ask for a refund or replacement on fabric probably wouldn't be honored at any shop.