Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding twists into a spiral >

Binding twists into a spiral

Binding twists into a spiral

Old 05-07-2022, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I don't press my binding in half either. I used to, but like Peggi I've found that it works out better if it's not pressed. I don't pin it to the quilt either. I just pile the binding in my lap, with some occasionally falling onto the floor, and start sewing. I never have any problem with it twisting, probably because I haven't constrained it to stay folded around anything.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:06 PM
bj

I also do the accordion fold. Then I set it in a basket on the floor to my right side where it unfolds from the top. I do fold it in half and iron mine before I fold it. That might make a difference in how it unfolds from my basket. I’m not sure.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:21 PM

I wonder if you are doing bias binding, and maybe stretched it out of shape by handling it so much? Are you using cotton fabric?
Old 05-07-2022, 07:59 PM

Hi Thimblebug6000, no, it's not bias binding, just straight grain. And yes, the fabric is all cotton fabric, same as the quilt.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:00 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I have lots of things to try now, as well as several ideas that might make the process go a little more quickly (like not ironing or pinning). Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2022, 09:46 PM

I have one more suggestion to add to the mix. I wrap my pressed binding onto a 5" piece of 1¼-1½" diameter pvc pipe we had leftover from a plumbing job. Then I slide the pipe over the handle of an unused brightly colored toilet plunger and sit it next to my chair. The long handle makes it easy to reach, the binding rolls off smoothly, and if I want, I can suction it down on to a slippery floor to keep it from moving.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:12 AM

Here is a link to a post I made on the Quilt board with a video showing how to wind your binding into a figure 8. If you scroll down in the post, I managed to finally get a photo of my binding done using this method. Good luck!

Wind your binding into a figure 8 so No twisting!
Old 05-08-2022, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
I have one more suggestion to add to the mix. I wrap my pressed binding onto a 5" piece of 1¼-1½" diameter pvc pipe we had leftover from a plumbing job. Then I slide the pipe over the handle of an unused brightly colored toilet plunger and sit it next to my chair. The long handle makes it easy to reach, the binding rolls off smoothly, and if I want, I can suction it down on to a slippery floor to keep it from moving.
Thanks! I have a post-style paper towel holder - will try this idea by putting my binding on an empty cardboard tube and slide it onto the holder.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
Here is a link to a post I made on the Quilt board with a video showing how to wind your binding into a figure 8. If you scroll down in the post, I managed to finally get a photo of my binding done using this method. Good luck!

Wind your binding into a figure 8 so No twisting!
Thank you CopyCat - I will try this out!
Old 05-08-2022, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I've never had straight binding twist on me like that. I throw it on the floor beside my machine and sew it it to the quilt. I do starch it very stiff. Sometimes I press fold and sometimes I don't.