Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some help with machine embroidery >

Need some help with machine embroidery

Need some help with machine embroidery

Old 05-21-2022, 06:31 AM

Default Machine embroidery

I thank all of you for your excellent advice, and I think I may have it conquered. I tried the top-stitch needle, but it didn't work for me. What I need up doing was to buy a leather needle. It was sharp, and the eye was big enough (110/18) to be able to use 2 threads at the same time. I used one polyester thread and one metallic thread (hint: works much better if the threads are both coming off the spool in the same direction, lol), and used some tear-away stabilizer on the back. Still using my scraps to practice on, but am liking what I see, so today or tomorrow, I will work on the actual quilt. I really need to work on going slowly, instead of pedal to the metal, but this combination seems to be the one that works. So, again, I thank you for all your input, I had no idea of what I was doing when I started, and now, I will be able to get it done.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:41 PM

Are you trying to free motion around your applique? Are you lowering your feed dogs? No matter what method you're using I would suggest free motion with an 80/12 or 90/14 top stitch needle. They have a longer shaft for the thread to go down to the eye as well as a larger eye.