Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make a quilt sandwich using pool noodles >

Make a quilt sandwich using pool noodles

Make a quilt sandwich using pool noodles

Old 08-17-2022, 11:48 PM

It works much better if your table is as wide as the quilt/pool noodles. Otherwise they droop off the edge and make it hard to keep even and smooth. I recently did a king size and used one long 6 ft table and a 4 ft table. Worked great. One thing she did not mention in the video is to have a stop behind the rolled noodles when basting together. Otherwise they may roll off the end of the table and well......it aint pretty. I just put a couple of chairs so the backs are against the table.
I have used this method for several years now and will never go back to any other method. I am unable to get on the floor and baste a quilt so this method has been a life changer for me. I roll smaller quilts onto the noodles using my wide ironing board, then move to a table to baste together.
Murphy
Here is a link to a search of the forum with several discussions on basting with pool noodles, glues and other helpful tips.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/search...archid=1245732
Old 08-18-2022, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
I just started doing that. Still must put table outside if i continue to use spray basting. i even store some quilts on noodles!
The spray baste the presenter in the video does not have scent. It is from Joann's and I have used it for years and never have to go outside because of a strong chemical odor. . Spray-n-Bond and is made for use with "sewing, quilting, embroidery and pattern piecing". If you try this, be sure to use the purple can NOT THE RED CAN. Purple is for sewing, red for other crafting. Purple does not gum up your needle.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Question for all you bright people. If I attach two pool noodles together so that I can baste a bed size quilt, does my table need to be as wide as the pool noodles or as wide as the quilt top or neither?
Since I sit in a power chair I use my bed that I have a sheet of plywood--covered in an upholersty fabric (leather type) and lay that on the bed then roll all 3 out and thread baste the one side exactly. I rarely use the backing for the boarders so everything is basted exactly on that edge. I like the idea of using a noodle. Makes it look like it will be easier to take to my dining room table (5' + long & 3' wide).
Old 08-23-2022, 05:51 PM

This is interesting. I use white woold molding and Sharon Schamber's method. I don't like using pins, and didn't want to spray baste. I lay it out similar to the pool noodle method on our ping pong table. Then I use a desk chair on wheels as I move along. I know this takes a little more time, but I have had good luck with this method.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:51 AM

I used to use a piece of baseboard i got at the hardware store. only quit using it due to my hands hurting trying to flip it over and over. pool noodles to the rescue!
Old 08-24-2022, 06:35 AM

Even though I am a month or more away from needing to baste, I bought some pool noodles yesterday in the seasonal close out.