Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary blades >

Rotary blades

Rotary blades

Old 01-08-2023, 08:14 AM

A crazy thing we noticed when talking to customers about blades at the store. If you have a granite counter top under your mat, the blades dull very quickly. It doesn't make any sense, but many employees and customers report the same thing.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

I bought the titanium blades that Onebyone told us about and I love them. I think I got them on Amazon. All the blades I've bought over the years have been from Amazon, much cheaper and work great.
Linda, be sure you don't have 2 blades in by mistake. That has happened to me on more than one occasion.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
A crazy thing we noticed when talking to customers about blades at the store. If you have a granite counter top under your mat, the blades dull very quickly. It doesn't make any sense, but many employees and customers report the same thing.
That's interest, Annette. I cut on an old banquet type table or a wood table and rotate mats. I really don't think my blades dull that often.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

My sew group met once a week to sew at a local church. We had a wood table that no matter what mat we used the cutter would not cut worth a darn. Moved the mat to another table and it cut fine. The surface does make a difference We never figured out why that one wood table wouldn't let us cut. It was a all wood large table and too big to move out of the room.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Also think the table contributes. Some of those white folding ones "bow" in the middle when pressure is put on them. I had similar issue and for me where there is an IKEA nearby found a remnant piece of cabinet and put that on top of my table and now the blades just west out normally.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:50 PM

This is a side note, not about your technique. A newbie rather than cutting along the template, actually cut into the template. Every cutting session required new blade. Took a lot of retraining. $7-8/blade is ridiculous. Want to support LQS, but won’t spend my $ this way. Manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:51 PM

And…. Mats need to be watered occasionally. Mine get a bath.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

If someone is cutting the wrong way or cutting into the rulers then a blade will not last at all. Why would it be expected to? I'm not the person who would buy a $7 or more blade. Too many daily deals, flash sales, and online clearance sales not to buy and stock up on good blades.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I no longer buy Olfa blades and have not for at least 10 years. Go on Amazon and search for them there, much cheaper!
I have been doing this also - huge difference in using blades when they aren't so pricey. I find the quality just as good or better than brand name.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:29 AM

I buy blades at Harbour Freight.... Need to buy another painter's cloth (I make wall hangings & garden flags (hold up so well in weather)..;