using hairspray..Aquanet..to spray baste your quilt >

using hairspray..Aquanet..to spray baste your quilt

using hairspray..Aquanet..to spray baste your quilt

Old 01-19-2023, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Note - this thread is 13 years old.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I would not take the chance on hair spray or a hair product to spray baste a quilt. Way to save money: 1. watch JoAnn's for 50% coupon and purchase a can of spray baste or 2. try glue basting. I use the JoAnn's spray by Spray-N-Bond. It is not found in the quilting areas but in the accessories area, buttons etc. but clearly states "made for sewing, quilting, embroidery and does not leave residue on the needle.

I have not used glue but many on the Quilting Board have and find it effective.
I had some small projects that I tried glue basting on. I liked it - very cost effective, no fumes, no overspray, nontoxic. Negatives - fabric cannot be repositioned once fixed, must wait for it to dry before quilting (I believe this can be helped along with an iron, but I never baste and quilt in the same day anyway) I felt like it needed to be washed before gifting because ...reasons. I'll do it again on the right project.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Note - this thread is 13 years old.
That is insane. It showed up as a new post today and I responded to it. I don't know how these old messages show up. I sometimes notice the date, but I completely was oblivious to it today.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
That is insane. It showed up as a new post today and I responded to it. I don't know how these old messages show up. I sometimes notice the date, but I completely was oblivious to it today.
There was a spammer that I reported shortly after it was posted. I was hoping it would be deleted before anybody responded, so that it would go back to where it was. If I post that the spammer has been reported, it brings it back to the top of the recent posts. And a lot of people don't pay attention to the date. It seems like frequently they go to the first post and then respond. I have a tendency to go to the last post. Then if it actually seems like a valid post, I will go back and see what they are referring to.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I like responding to old post as many times I have learned new info about the question.

She did NOT give the amount of the alchol to use.

In the video she says 1 cup of alcohol.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:50 AM

I know that we have used Aqua Net for other things (shooting our t-shirt cannon) and other products do not work. So if that was the actual recommendation i would try to stay with it. And it would be sticky but it would wash out just like any other product? I wouldn't baste with it and then let it sit. (Like a UFO) That might be bad.

arg! I hate when I don’t see the dates!!! I always wonder about the post, especially the name games, license plates, change a letter, that are here from way way back when!!! Sorry for posting on this!!!

Last edited by Fizzle; 01-20-2023 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added