Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you share your experience with starch that you mix up yourself? >

Can you share your experience with starch that you mix up yourself?

Can you share your experience with starch that you mix up yourself?

Old 02-12-2023, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

When I have lots of yardage to starch, I put in washer, saturate with starch, then use the drain and spin cycle. That keeps me from having wring out the fabric. I use one part cheap vodka to two parts water instead of Best Press when I do want to use something other then starch. I really like the new Magic Premium Quilting spray better then Best Press, Flatter or the Acorn Precision spray.

Last edited by Onebyone; 02-12-2023 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I also like the Magic Premium Quilting Spray best of all the types mentioned.

Thanks for some great tips, everyone!
Old 02-12-2023, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
When starching blocks as I work, I press and then starch and wait a few seconds before pressing. The heat allows the starch to absorb faster IMHO.

Sadly I have been unable to find my beloved Niagra Starch in the non aresol bottle and have been using Sta-Flo.
They quit making it, which upset me enough to write to them. Several times. Have not received a single response.

I agree with waiting a few seconds before pressing to prevent scorching. Careful observation of my starching and pressing technique made me realize that the starch was scorching because it was sitting on top of the fabric, and just cooking on the surface of the iron. If you are like me and a little too impatient to wait for soaking in, I've discovered that a fine mist of water on top of the starch helps it absorb into the fabric faster.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I think I definitely scorched by ironing it right away. Several of you have pointed that out.
I really appreciate all the input!
Old 02-12-2023, 01:55 PM

I use Sta-Flo and I mix equal parts of starch and water. I like my fabric heavily starched. I let it dry completely, then I mist as I press my fabric. Works for me. Have never scorched.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:00 PM

I use Sta-Flo in about a 2:1 mixture. I usually spray it on and let it absorb for a few minutes. I also don't let the iron sit in one spot too long. I keep it moving. More ironing than pressing.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
I use Sta-Flo and I mix equal parts of starch and water. I like my fabric heavily starched. I let it dry completely, then I mist as I press my fabric. Works for me. Have never scorched.
this is what I do also, and don't refrigerate it, it doesn't get mouldy in the store container, why would it at the ironing board?
I use a fine mister to apply it, wait a minute to iron.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

I have found Wrinkle Release spray works best to get rid of fold lines in fabric. I put it in a water pen. It works great to open seams flat when pressing them open too. It seems funny to have different sprays for different pressing but I know what works best for me by using all the different types of sprays. I use Terial spray if the cut will have any bias edges.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:54 PM

I make mine with corn starch, 1table spoon to 2 quarts water, boil and stir till thick. I spray my cloth real good and then ring it to saturate thru the fibers. Let it sit for 30 mins or so and then press the back first, then the front.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:55 PM

I mix the starch 1-1, put it in a spray bottle, soak the fabric, cover it with waxed paper and iron it until it is mostly dry, then I hang it to finish drying. I have never scorched fabric and the iron stays clean. f I wait and Iron the fabric after it is dry I can't put the pressure on it that I need to.

If the fabric is really wrinkled, I will spray it with water and press first.