Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 02-21-2023, 05:14 AM

Like many of you, I had to design a screen name that I could remember but then it grew on me and has become "me". This past Sunday my pastor asked us to consider what our 8-year-old self wanted to be and to then share that with others. That was easy! I have never ever considered another career than being a teacher. I pondered music teacher, art teacher, PE teacher, history teacher and decided that an elementary teacher allowed me to do all of those things and to make all of that subject matter wildly fun. My journey lead me to become a preschool teacher and director. Eventually I was invited to teach university classes to those who wanted to be effective preschool teachers and family educators, my passion by the way. I spent 20 plus years teaching at Western Michigan University (WMU) so, WMUTeach works for me.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:10 AM

My mother was very adamant that no one shorten my name to Jenny. She would swell up and declare that her daughter was not a donkey! So no one ever dared to give me a nickname when I was a child. I was jealous of my brother whose male classmates called him "Gif" (short for Gifford).

Fast forward many decades and my best friend, Molly, finally gave me a nickname. I was always the prepared one... If a group of us got lost in the car, I would pull out a map I had prepared in advance in case we needed one. If someone had a headache or indigestion, I'd provide them a remedy from my purse. If something needed to be done, I would always get it done immediately. Molly declared that I was a "Generator" with a "J." The nickname stuck.

Then tradegy... Molly died of cancer in her 50s. I immediately went out and got a vanity license plate for my car (JENNR8R) in her honor. It has been my handle ever since.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:34 AM

I wish I had something exciting to tell you about my screen name. Ibex is a goat, a wild goat with wonderful horns. My husband and I picked the name as a merger of our last names for a family LLC name. It was picked long before being the GOAT was a thing. (greatest of all time acronym for celebrities of one type or another). Maybe one day I will be a quilting GOAT like you all. :-) The 94 represents the year we were married. Researching Ibex over the years I have found goats to be amazingly adept at climbing over rough surfaces and scrounging for food despite rough terrain options. I think that the ibex is a great animal spirit for me so I need to come up with a better story, like I've made a list of 94 reasons that goats are amazing critters.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ibex.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	642834  
Old 02-21-2023, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

How fun hearing about your board names.... sorry your friend died so young, Jenn. My little sister was a Jennifer, but we all grew up calling her "Jen". No one called her "Jenny" because that was my Mom's name-- an Americanized version of her true name, Yevgenia, or Eugenia (Eugenie). My father married Mom overseas right after WWII, and brought her to America. She tried hard to blend in and be an American, including using the American version of her name.

WMUT, my 8 yo self wanted to be a doctor, an artist, a ballerina, an actress, and probably 15 more things!
Old 02-21-2023, 04:14 PM

Hello all. I just spent some time catching up on the pages of posts that I have missed. So many good links and pictures. Thank you.

The LAF in my screen name comes from a combination of mine and my husbands name ("L"auren "A"nd "F"ranklin). We used that to tag/watermark our pictures together when we first started dating, just thrilled that our initials made such a jovial homophone. the 2019 is the year I joined this forum.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:21 PM

Such great stories! And my March bday candies are in the mail.

Janice -- tomorrow is the day! Happy Birthday in case I can't get in here tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:35 PM

Thank you for sharing your screen name stories. They are so unique and amazing. I am anxious to hear more.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:47 PM

My board name is fairly obvious. After I had my son, my identity totally changed. I was no longer "Sheri," I was Patrick's Mom. I loved to embarrass him by writing "Patrick's Mom" on my name tag when we went to school parent/teacher conferences. If I would have written just "Sheri" the teachers would have had no clue who I was.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:21 AM

Happy Birthday, Janice!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Janice Bday.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	642841  
Old 02-22-2023, 05:24 AM

Janice, enjoy your special day and all of the birthday candies!
Attached Images