Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is my rotary cutter not working for me ? >

Why is my rotary cutter not working for me ?

Why is my rotary cutter not working for me ?

Old 02-24-2023, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bitts&pcs View Post
at this point I am working white knuckled with fear, which probably doesn't help.
Couple of things. Hopefully you are not pressing down with much force. You should not need to press hard, and if you find you have to for the blade to work, it's time to change the blade. Secondly, if you're terrified of cutting yourself, buy a pair of cut-resistant gloves. They're like chainmail for your hands. I haven't seen them in quilt shops or fabric stores, but you can buy them online.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:04 AM

I use a 45mm. I think I tilt the 60mm one and it cuts mine a little skinny. Also, I have changed the length of the strip I am cutting. I no longer cut a single fold WOF because I don't have a long reach. I use strip rulers and they are AMAZING. I take half WOF and fold in half again to make the cuts and to fit under the ruler. This takes longer. I also have arthritic hands and the strip rulers help a lot for accurate cutting AND saves my hands. I put a weight on the corners just to help hold it down. I suspect sooner or later I'll need an Accucut cutter or something similar.

I have also heard the type of surface under the cutting mat makes a difference. So you may want to try a different table and, of course, a different height. Try different techniques and you'll find the one that works for you.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Be sure that you are sitting/standing directly in front of the ruler. Be sure you are UP and ON the ruler.

What size cutter are you using? I feel like I have more control with a 60 mm cutter.

A favorite helping hand tutorial for cutting. Check the position of her hand at about the 12 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgmT5BEc4M
Thank you all for helpful hints.

This video has been some sort of a revelation I didn't expect.

My cutting mats are are left over from my previous life as a graphic artist ( BC = before computers)
a firm believer in the 3 Rs I was very happy to re-purpose them for quilting.
watching the vide@Rhonda posted , there is a suggestion to turn the cutting board to the wrong side, that caused a large light bulb to light up, went in to my sewing room, (never mind lunch) and run my hands over the right side of my cutting board, and it turns out I can feel the LINES on the board and an occasional NOT self healed cut, done by the paste up knife previously used on the mat.
Just shows you are never too old to learn something

Old 02-24-2023, 09:36 AM

I use TrueCut rulers. Because the rotary cutter runs along a raised track, the ruler can't veer off at an angle and ruin the fabric. Here's the link: https://graceframe.com/en/truecut/rulers
Old 02-24-2023, 10:00 AM

That does sound interesting and I only have the one quilting ruler, perhaps it's time to invest in another one
Old 02-24-2023, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Another thought on cutting surface. If you are using a table that is not solid, it might "bow" in the middle, under the cutter, making it seem like the cutter is skipping, causing you to push down, and maybe out. I have one of those big white tables and it had been a problem. Then saw a video or came upon an article can't remember, and got a big solid piece of wood. Actually it is a cabinet side from the $5 bin at IKEA but anything will do - put that on the table and cutting mat over it and much much better cutting surface. Also recommend changing blade often. A sharp blade really doesn't require that much pressure.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:21 AM

Not a table problem here, an old dresser has solid 1" plywood top, been using it for 30 years, had it done exactly the hight I needed.
I think the "virgin" side of cutting board might be the answer to my troubles
Old 02-24-2023, 01:58 PM

Yes, turn the mat over. Use the ruler for lining up fabric. You "can" cut fabric without mat lines. Glad the videos helped with some tips for you.

Agree to use a cut glove.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

The Fons and Porter mat has no lines. It is not sold anymore but the one I have is still good, It is not my regular cutting mat. It is big so I take it to retreats with heavy use for three days twice a year. I think it was made by Omnigrid back in the day. Every new retreater asks where did you get this mat with no lines? I think the mat gets more pictures taken of it then the quilts. LOL
Old 02-25-2023, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bitts&pcs View Post
That does sound interesting and I only have the one quilting ruler, perhaps it's time to invest in another one
I have found that it's easier to cut with a wider ruler (6.5 x 12.5" is my favorite). The 3 x 18" ruler that I use slides around a bit if I'm not paying attention.