Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is my rotary cutter not working for me ? >

Why is my rotary cutter not working for me ?

Why is my rotary cutter not working for me ?

Old 02-25-2023, 06:10 AM

So my mat reverse seems like it's perfect, I tried cutting on it without ruler and it's amazingly easy going, so maybe I will try cutting free hand.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:48 AM

Watched the video again and there may be something else at play here ( Y'all really made my gray cells work
My sewing room table was built for me about 25 years ago, to suit my height......
used for Sewing, ironing, laundry folding, present wrapping......and so on
The video mentions a hight of table and personal height changes,
now I am thinking that the main culprit beside the "wounded" mat, may be my table is now too high for effective cutting.
I have another table I use for design that is too low for anything else, but now I wonder if it may allow for pressure from above more efficiently. Not great for my back, but I do very little cutting so not a big stretch.
What a way to find out I am shrinking
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewing room.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	642865  
Old 02-25-2023, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I think the cutting height should be at least what is counter height to your height. Lower and you risk back and shoulder aches.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:25 AM

Some folks have used pieces of PVC pipe cut to appropriate length to raise the height of the folding tables so they are right for cutting without bending over. If you're thinking about using the table shown on the left side of your pic you could do something like that. The idea is to cut the PVC pipe so that when the bottom part of the legs are slipped into it, it raises the table to appropriate height for the person using it. Better than trying to cut on a table that is too low which is very hard on your back.

Rob
Old 02-25-2023, 09:17 AM

Interesting suggestion , Thank you.
Yes I am thinking of using the table on left side of the picture.
It consists of an old dining room table top, perched on top of folding table, I am a hand quilter, so the amount of cutting I do isn't huge, I only finish one or two quilts a year, mostly my design, so the rotary cutter is just a bit of luxury, if I can master it
Old 02-25-2023, 11:29 AM

Make sure your blade is on the correct side of the rotary cutter. When cutting, the blade should be right next to the edge of the ruler. If it is not, reload the blade onto the other side. I have a self closing Olfa cutter. My left handed friend can't use my rotary cutter because she cuts with her left hand on the left side of the ruler. The spacer, washer and tightening nut side of the cutter is next to the ruler edge. It just doesn't work right that way. Also, make sure blade is attached properly. When using a straight blade, the spacer, washer and nut are on the same side of the cutter. The blade is on the opposite side. (Personal experience). Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:00 AM

That happened to me before too. I didn't know there is a right side to the blade, evidently so. I flipped the blade around and cutter worked fine. Another thing I did once was accidently put 2 blades in instead of one. Those blades are so slick and stick together. Hope this helps you.