Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making backing for king size quilt. Not my favorite thing. >

Making backing for king size quilt. Not my favorite thing.

Making backing for king size quilt. Not my favorite thing.

Old 03-11-2023, 08:06 PM

I really like the extra wide fabric, but you do have to be careful. I have found flaws in some. I find it in regular width too, but that is easier to find than the extra wide.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:39 AM

I use wide backing on most quilts. The only drawback is ironing the darn thing.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:19 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I’m a wide back gal myself! Oh wait a minute, that doesn’t sound good!
Anyway, when I get done with the patchwork, I am usually ready to move on so backing speeds up the process. That said, I have had to be selective as not all backing fabric is the same quality. I find much of it to be very thin.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:30 AM

If I know I’m going to need a pieced backing, I sometimes make it BEFORE I even start the quilt top; when I’m still excited about the project.

Otherwise, like you, I find myself with quilt fatigue, and have difficulty mustering the motivation to do this awkward, boring task.

Or I use wide back.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:37 AM

I have a "large" quilt top waiting for me to proceed with backing it. It is 120 x 110 so very large. I am going to use it as my bedspread for our queen size bed and I want the edges to cover both the mattress and box spring. I am going shopping this week, weather permitting, for the backing. I think I will go with the wide backing and adding a piece down the back to get the measurement I need. Get this - I am then going to FMQ it on my Janome machine. I have done large ones before so hopefully can do this one also. My Janome has a 9" harp so that helps some. I only want a thin polyester batting so as not to add too much weight to it. Wish me luck and sanity!
Old 03-13-2023, 07:55 AM

Oh my, Karamarie! Yes, I wish you the best of luck. I've quilted many a quilt over the years with my domestic machine and I know it can be done beautifully. And lots of large quilts! Sometimes it feels like you have more control. I'm now fortunate enough to have a long arm and that has proved to be wonderful now that the learning curve is over. I had many times I wondered what in the heck have I done in spending all that money and driving myself nuts in learning how to use it. Software has not been easy for me, but I stayed with the learning aspect and now I couldn't be happier!