Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is Foam Durable for Pet Beds? >

Is Foam Durable for Pet Beds?

Is Foam Durable for Pet Beds?

Old 03-25-2023, 08:44 AM

Default Is Foam Durable for Pet Beds?

Hi....I was wondering if Pellon Flex Foam would be durable for use in making a simple pet bed, would it hold up to many washings? I never used foam before but I have a simple pattern that says to use it but I guess I was thinking that foam is not that strong. It does say the foam can be washed and dried but have you tried it?

Would love your thoughts on this please. I would make some for cat shelters and some for me. Thank you to all!
Old 03-27-2023, 05:35 AM

for many washings my first concern would be the strength of the outer material.
Commercial beds with the option to wash have removable covers.
My second concern would be if the bed would ever completely dry? I'm 71 and I can still smell in my mind how my teddy bear smelled after mother washed it... sour and mouldy.
Method of washing comes to mind also, is this for a small dog bed? Picturing mine, it would need to be washed with a pile of towels or blankets because it would knock the washer out of level.

Then... I sound like Debbie Downer, I apologize, but I volunteered at our shelter for 4 years and the scrap filled pet beds go to the landfill. Most pet shelters run on a shoestring so they just have standard washers and dryers, they will not take the weight of pet beds. Towels are one of the best gifts you can give a shelter if you have extra, they are used and used and used

I hope that helps, and I'm sorry to sound so negative to your thoughtful idea.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:37 AM

All my exterior cushions I've used the waffle type foam to make the cushion part of it plus a cover that can be removed from time to time when it needed to be washed. Then I made covers using outside fabrics which I now wash in the machine every year and they've all held up. One of my kitties loves to lay on the porch swing so it gets quite hairy from her so I vacuum it a number of times during the summer and then wash in either in the fall when I put them all away or in the spring when I pull them out again. The foarm cushion has help up well. I tend to throw it into the dryer on high heat to kill any bug eggs that might have been laid just to be safe. My sister I think used this waffle foam on one of her beds and decided she no longer needed it so I got it. Made all my outside cushions with it including some throw pillows.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I need to use some foam. How or best way to cut ?
Old 03-28-2023, 08:26 AM

Annievee, depends on the thickness. But most thicker foam can be compressed with a board and then cut with a utility knife.

Pumpkin Sundae, considering the cost of flex foam or Bosal, I would not be using it in a pet bed. I just finished making a new bed for our dog. I filled a pillowcase with small scraps and cut up pieces of batting. I covered that with a heavy duty plastic bag. Then I made a cover that has a zipper. The cover can come off for washing, the plastic can be wiped down with disinfectant, and the filled pillowcase does not need to be washed or dried.