Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many hours to quilt a queen on a longarm frame? >

How many hours to quilt a queen on a longarm frame?

How many hours to quilt a queen on a longarm frame?

Old 04-12-2023, 04:26 AM

You've received some really good insights here.
I find that I am much more of a "dabbler" when it comes to longarming. I like to work away at it for awhile and then I won't do anything to it for a few days. That's my style and when I rented time at a shop, I found it really stressful. (Hence, why I have my own.) Now...my set up is a pretty cheap, all manual one. Maybe if I had a fancy one I'd do more, more often.
I do believe taking a class is a great idea and then do the rental thing as well just to see if you even like doing it.
Watson
Old 04-12-2023, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I take 20 hrs or more broken up into 4 days. This is a more basic pattern.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:18 PM

I plan on a full day quilting an edge-to-edge design with robotics. This is after I have loaded the back and top and batting, also after the pattern has been selected and sized for the quilt. I select the thread to be used and have bobbins wound and ready to use. I have the machine threaded and the quilt top and batting basted. This is all done prior to the day I quilt.

If the pattern is not an edge-to-edge design and if I manually quilt without the robotics in use, and or use ruler work it takes me several days depending on what is needed.

There are many variables at play. But it is so rewarding to see the finished quilt and know that I've learned the skills to accomplish something so remarkable. Good luck and don't give up. The learning curve is a good thing to meet head on!
Old 04-14-2023, 05:00 PM

I had the same debate and decided that at the pace of my finishing tops (slow) and the time I had available to long arm (not a lot), that it was more cost effective to rent from a local studio. however, I bought anyway. The convenience outweighed the cost savings. like everyone said, there are always breaks needed and you don't finish a queen size in one go. lots of starts and stops.