Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gammill Headache >

Gammill Headache

Gammill Headache

Old 04-25-2023, 10:27 AM

I bought used old non regulated longarm from Nolting in Iowa and they were great phone help was provided in a timely fashion I would recommend calling them.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I bought used old non regulated longarm from Nolting in Iowa and they were great phone help was provided in a timely fashion I would recommend calling them.
You recommend calling Nolting to service a Gammill??

That's like calling Ford to service a Chevy.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:10 AM

Yes, the rocking finger is what opens and closes as the "loop" is pulled down from the eye of the needle. It has consistently been working it's way loose so I have to continually re-time it. I can't tighten it down too much because it could bind up the machine. I can try getting a new bobbin case - I do sometimes hear it rattling around when sewing.
When it comes to the scheduling of maintenance, I've had the machine serviced in the past - and I have a local repair technician that lives one town over from me...however he has stated he's not allowed to service any machine unless he's been given a confirmation of service from Gammill themselves. It's so frustrating that I'm considering selling my machine and getting something a company will actually stand behind.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:11 AM

I very much appreciate your suggestion...I have watched two different rocking finger adjustment videos posted by Gammill (along with this one), but it doesn't stop the problem from happening.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:25 AM

I have an APQS. They have good service, and basically design so a lot can be done by the owner with a few simple tools. but I also have a tech just a couple miles from me. They will walk you through repairs. I have had my machine for about 10 years and have not needed major repairs on it. I did have one problem with vibration and the tech came over and basically just adjusted the frame a bit. I think Innova has good support too. Around here, hand quilter mostly has to be sent somewhere to get fixed and one friend was without machine for several months.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Blow up their phone. Call and call and call again until they schedule you. Yell if you have to. Or cry. There's no excuse for them not to at least respond.

It might also help to say where you're located, in case someone on the board owns a Gammill and lives near you. They might know of someone who services Gammills in your area.

So far I've been able to fix all the problems with my Innova with help over the phone. But there is a traveling technician who services all the "industrial" brands, including both Innova and Gammill, and I've had him come over a couple of times, just to keep the machine healthy and happy.
I totally agree! Its sad, but sometimes you have to make an issue of things just to get someone to pay attention. I once threw a fit in the middle of the car dealership at 7:30 in the morning when it was full, just to get someone to pay attention to the fact that this car had been in 3 times in the year for the same problem. Worked though
Old 04-25-2023, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by SCriess View Post
It's so frustrating that I'm considering selling my machine and getting something a company will actually stand behind.
I suggest telling them that when you call.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:04 AM

Yes nolting used to work on different machines when I boutht mine so I know that was in 2006 but it is worth a shot. They always help me and my machine is not a nolting