Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is it possible to do FMQ on a singer 99-13? >

Is it possible to do FMQ on a singer 99-13?

Is it possible to do FMQ on a singer 99-13?

Old 05-17-2023, 04:52 PM

Default Is it possible to do FMQ on a singer 99-13?

Is it possible to do free motion quilting on a singer 99-13? And if it is are there any attachments I'd need? Thank you!
Old 05-18-2023, 04:22 AM

Disclaimer: I'm no quilter.

I believe you need a machine that can lower the feed dogs, or you could try a plate to cover the feed dogs:

https://www.vintagesingerparts.com/c...te-part-p60402

(I don't work for Central Michigan Supply, I don't own stock in the company, nor do I receive remuneration in any form from the company; I like to support a small business)

Hopefully a quilter will jump in here and tell you if a plate like that will or will not work for what you want to do.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:25 AM

you can also reduce stitch length to zero then cover the plates - there are teflon sheets you can purchase for free motion work that allow the fabric to slide more smoothly. There might also be actual attachments, but this technique might be just as effective and cheaper
Old 05-18-2023, 05:33 AM

Yup, most people lower or cover the feed dogs so the fabric moves easily. I've heard of people who don't do this but I find it much easier to move the fabric with the feed dogs down. There are free motion quilting feet (sometimes called darning feet in older machines) that allow the foot to move smoothly over the fabric. I have no idea whether there is one made to fit that machine.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:33 AM

I believe you should be able to. With that being said, the harp space (needle to pillar) is fairly small compared to full size machines. The 99 has about 6-1/4" of harp space. You might want to read https://www.stringandstory.com/blog/...uiltondomestic even though it is using more modern machines, it indicates that it can be done with the smaller space.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)