Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Mini Iron >

Need Mini Iron

Need Mini Iron

Old 05-29-2023, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I have the mini Clover wedge iron. It has a pointed end. No holes. They aren't made anymore but maybe you can find one. I love this little iron. I wish I bought a back up as mine is over eight years old.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:20 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

On the AccuQuilt videos, they put the mini iron in a quart jar.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I'm looking forward to getting the Dritz Petit Press. I ordered it last night.
let me know how you like it, I might get one
Old 05-29-2023, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
let me know how you like it, I might get one
I'll try it out (arrives this week) and let you know how I like it. This is the one I'm getting.
Dritz 29500 Petite Press Portable Mini Iron

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-29-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Ru, that looks like a nice one. Let us know how you like it. Since I threw my other one out I could use one.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:09 PM

I have the Clover Mini and like using it. You need to take care not to burn yourself, but I keep it in a big glass mug and find that mostly avoids the issue.

Another choice might be Cheri’s Cool Tool. I have never used it but it is recommended by appliqué designed Pearl P. Pereira and sold on her website. Here is her video showing the irons she likes to use: https://www.p3designs.com/my-favorit...e-prepping.htm

As a side note, she recommends a soldering iron holder for her Cool Tool or Clover Mini.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I looking to get a 'mini' iron to iron into tight spots with applique and tiny seams. Doing this with my regular iron just isn't cutting it.

I thought I'd ask the forum what their thoughts were on this product or if you have a different suggestion.
Clover Mini Iron II The adaptors set
Walmart has a very small iron for 12.00.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:27 AM

I have the Dritz 29500 Mini Iron, it's slow to heat up but it does get plenty hot. I bought a small spoon rest to put it in by my sewing machine. It does stand up but it has fallen over a few times.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:56 PM

I received my Dritz 29500 Petite Press Mini Iron last evening - mail was running really late! I tried it out this morning and here is my review.

I really like it! I wanted it to iron down small seams that my regular iron was too big for, and for also ironing down batting fusion tape between seams, and it works great for both. I'm not sure about keeping it on the 'cotton' #3 setting or putting it on the #4 setting for linen, I want it to be at the hottest setting so that I don't have to hold it on the seam/batting fusion tape for more than a few seconds. But, really both the #3 and #4 settings get really hot, so I'll probably keep it at the #3 setting for cotton. It does get really hot, and when you first plug it in and turn it on, it takes about 10 seconds to get hot. It has a red light on it that blinks and stops blinking when it reaches the temperature you set it at.

The cord is as long as my regular iron cord, so it is plenty long enough to go from the plug down the entire length of my 4.5 foot ironing board on my ironing station and then some, without having to drape it over the actual board. So it will still be off the ironing board and out of the way of messing up how the fabric lays while I am using the iron.

I did have one small issue and that is that the edges of the sole plate, near the rear of the sole plate had a small burr on the metal edge, but DH is a tool and die/machinest guy, so he smoothed it out for me. It really didn't hurt or snag on anything, or bother any of the ironing area of the sole plate, but I could feel it and it bugged me.

It does tip as the cord comes off the center of the handle where it rests on the 'table', so I set it with the iron's stand in use, in a small ceramic cat food bowl (yes I have kitties), with the handle over the edge of the bowl to rest on my ironing station table - and it isn't tipping over at all now. Only the stand touches the bottom ceramic bowl (the edge of the bowl sits about 1.5" high) the iron handle and iron sole plate don't touch the bowl, so I don't have to worry about heat transfer. Though, I'm a safety girl, so I will only have it plugged in and on when I am actively using it.

So, all in all, yes I really like it. I give it a high 5.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-31-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:17 AM

I use a Clover and it does get really hot which I like. Mine does not have all the extra gadgets, so you might want to try getting the one that has one ironing sole to try it out. I bought mine on sale at Joann's.