Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Loose Treadle Belt = Loose Upper Thread Tension? >

Loose Treadle Belt = Loose Upper Thread Tension?

Loose Treadle Belt = Loose Upper Thread Tension?

Old 06-11-2023, 12:31 PM

Default Loose Treadle Belt = Loose Upper Thread Tension?

Hi All, I have a question for all you experts on vintage machines. I've only had Ernestine for about 6 weeks or so and am still learning, though the learning curve has flattened quite a bit. My question is, does a loose treadle belt make for loose upper thread tension? In my mind it would. I've had to up the tension to get a good stitch and think it is too tight. Today I was using the machine and noticed the belt slipping a lot. We pre-stretched it before installing it, but have not adjusted it since.

Thanks.
Shari
Old 06-11-2023, 07:56 PM

An upper Tension assembly has no bearing on a treadle belt and visa versa. If your belt is slipping it needs to be tightened. Once a belt is installed, it could require tightening a couple to a few times, even if stretched beforehand. Room temperature can affect the belt. I demonstrated in an unheated cabin, opposite side of the cabin from the fireplace, by the second night, I felt the belt slipping.
I hope you get your machine running the way you want.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:28 AM

Thank you for your help. I do know the belt does need to be adjusted. I can tell by how easy it is to slide off the treadle wheel when I want to put the machine away or oil underneath.

Shari
Old 06-12-2023, 04:56 AM

I figured out why the belt was slipping. Some where along the line while sewing yesterday, I engaged the bobbin winder which was causing the drag. All is well now.

Shari
Old 06-12-2023, 04:52 PM

So happy you figured out the readon the tension was off! Yes...bobbin winder drag!