Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organ Needles >

Organ Needles

Organ Needles

Old 06-25-2023, 06:06 AM

I was breaking needles with my Juki TL 2010 which I have on my Cutie frame so went to LQS to buy new needles (Schmetz topstitch 90/14). The clerk helping me suggested Organ needles because they are designed for high speed longarm machines. Made the switch and no more broken needles, I use the Schmetz needles when piecing still and no problems with them.
Old 06-25-2023, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I use Organ in my Juki but Schmetz in my Bernina.
Old 06-25-2023, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Organ needles are considered the top of the line. FYI: One thing I learned in Nova Montgomery Featherweight maint. class is Singer needles are not to be used in a Featherweight. They are not made like they use to be and are just a tad too long for the Featherweight machines. Schmetz Universal needle has the right length for the Featherweight to sew it's best. I use Schmetz for my Featherweight and Organ for my other machines including my embroidery machine. Superior Needles are Organ needles. I buy Organ needles for piecing and machine quilting in bulk and Superior needles for specific use.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-25-2023 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-25-2023, 02:30 PM

I use Organ needles in my Pfaff ICON and no problems at all.
Old 06-25-2023, 02:38 PM

Thankfully I’ve used whatever needles I have on hand for my vintage Singers as well as my other machines with no problems.
Old 06-25-2023, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Organ needles are considered the top of the line. FYI: One thing I learned in Nova Montgomery Featherweight maint. class is Singer needles are not to be used in a Featherweight. They are not made like they use to be and are just a tad too long for the Featherweight machines. Schmetz Universal needle has the right length for the Featherweight to sew it's best. I use Schmetz for my Featherweight and Organ for my other machines including my embroidery machine. Superior Needles are Organ needles. I buy Organ needles for piecing and machine quilting in bulk and Superior needles for specific use.
I use Schmetz in my FW. I use Microtex and they work just fine. I haven't used Universal needles in a long time. Microtex seem to do a better job for me.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:18 AM

I use Organ needles exclusively and have for decades.
Janome NEDDLES are organ as well as superior Needles.
CHECK Superior website. They traveled the world to find the best manufacturer for their needles.they chose Organ.
I by them in 100 pack from a national wholesaler.
Old 06-26-2023, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

This is on the Featherweight site: Not all quality needles that are currently on the market will fit and work correctly. Because of a reduced shaft size, some needles will come out while you are sewing and can cause damage to your machine. Schmetz needles fit correctly in a Featherweight.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:01 AM

If you are using rulers, be sure you have the right thickness. Quilting rulers are fatter,taller. 3/8th or 1/2 inch thick so they won't slip under the foot. Your needle may be hitting the ruler and that's what is causing the breakage.
Old 06-27-2023, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I've heard when you move your quilt/fabric when FMQuilting faster than the needle is going, you can bend or break the needle, so perhaps this is what you are finding.
I agree. I think size of needle and the purpose you're using it for are actually more important than brand, although using a quality, reputable brand is always best.

I use Organ size 12 or 14 for piecing on my Brother 1500. It's a high speed machine, so I use top stitch needles, which have a longer groove on the side of the needle. This groove protects the thread from too much friction as the needle moves in and out of the fabric. The top stitch needle also has a larger eye, which makes it easy to thread.

For my Innova longarm, I use Groz-Beckert size 18 needles. As Quiltsfor said, when you're quilting, there is some pushing and pulling going on and as the needle goes in and out of the quilt, you have a greater chance for needle flex, which can cause skipped stitches and broken needles. (On a DSM it's the quilt you're pushing & pulling, on a longarm it's the machine head.) A size 18 needle (which is the industry standard for longarms) is thicker and heavier than a size 12 or 14, so there is less needle flex.

If you're quilting and getting broken needles, I suspect the breaks are due to either the machine being out of time, or a result of needle flex. You can test the needle flex theory by using a larger needle. If you're only sewing, not quilting, and you're getting breaks, it's probably a timing issue.