Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Store Wool Batting (esp on a roll)? >

How Do You Store Wool Batting (esp on a roll)?

How Do You Store Wool Batting (esp on a roll)?

Old 06-28-2023, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
frannella, how does the silk compare as far as warmth and breathability?

Interestingly, I find wool to be cooler than cotton, while DH finds it to be warmer. He is ALWAYS cold, where I have found that hot flashes will be part of my life forever.
Peace and Joy--I have been told (by a quilt teacher) that silk will keep you just as warm as wool. Based off one tablecloth (my only silk batt project to date), it's a little hard for me to give you an answer. IMHO, silk has a lighter heft and/or more fluid drape, if you will, and is probably more breathable. It's really lovely stuff, but I also I know more than one quilter who lines her silk batts with a thin 100% cotton batt as well. I think they do it for strength and possibly for warmth as well. To be clear, their quilt sandwiches are composed of : quilt top, cotton batting, silk batting, quilt backing. Because it's so dear, I haven't experimented with silk batt beyond my one tablecloth. But, I agree with you about wool feeling cooler, possibly because of its loft and breathability. It's lovely stuff too.

Although the protection-from-bugs issue is equally relevant to silk, I haven't seen silk sold in rolls, so that issue is moot. Packaged battings are easier to protect, control, and store than rolls are. I am sure there are a lot of quilters on this list who use silk batts, but silk batting vs wool batting is probably another thread? HTH and Happy Sewing.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:33 AM

Thanks, frannella, for the input!

The price is what has prevented me from trying silk. Until 5 years or so ago, I always used cotton, and liked it very much. The Warm and Natural line was my go to. A couple were done with Warm and Plush, the same as their usual, but thicker so warmer.

Well, warmer is NOT something that I want on my side of the bed, lol. I went through menopause years ago and STILL have not flashes. So ridiculous. I had absolutely no idea that once all was said and done that hot flashes would continue.

Anyhow, that's what lead me to use wool. I still kick everything off in the night (and then pull it back an hour later!), but it is also warmer for DH, who is perpetually cold. I was just wondering if silk would be better still.

I send my tops out for quilting, but do buy the batts in a package. No room for a roll here, and don't want to tempt any creepy crawlies anyhow.

Thanks again.