Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When You Have One of THOSE Days... >

When You Have One of THOSE Days...

When You Have One of THOSE Days...

Old 06-27-2023, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
A rule in my Quilt-a Way (name for my sewing space), is to always close my rotary blade and Lock it when I'm finished using it.
It gets me in the habit for the surprise visits I have with my grandchildren. When I know they are coming I go a step further and put away all my sharp items in a drawer. ( rotary cutter, pins, seam ripper, scissors, stilettoes)
Me too.
All this, and my iron too.
Then I close the door.....love that I can do that.
Only...mine's called my Diva Den.....

I have a little peninsula counter in the kitchen with very bright task lights right over it I like cutting there...but only when no one else is around....

I'm glad you are feeling well enough to get back in there...

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 06-27-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2023, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My sewing room is the bonus room upstairs, No one knows the stairs are there if the door is shut. I can spend many hours up there looking for something I had in my hand the day before and now no where to be found, and no one knows I lost something again.
This made me laugh
been there...
my space is a converted garage...lots of room to lose things...
Old 06-27-2023, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I have a dedicated sewing room upstairs. About the only rule I've had to add was that I have to unplug the machines and put the foot pedals up on the table when I'm done sewing. I had one of the dogs lay on my foot pedal once. I heard the sewing machine running and went to look and there he was sewing away!

so funny!
Old 06-27-2023, 10:34 AM

I am fortunate to have fallen heir to the bedroom of the last kid to fledge the nest in our family of 5. It is a combo home office and sewing studio. My happy place. Everyone knows not to touch my stuff. Frankly if somebody questioned my technique before I asked for help, I would be tempted to go at them with that rotary cutter!

Good on you for going for help, Railroadersbrat. I think a lot of folks struggle on in shame and silence with depression and anxiety. I had PPD after each pregnancy, and the last really lingered in spite of treatment. I am always alert for a return, and when I feel it creeping back, I book a visit with doc and counselor to nip it in the bud. Oddly, one of the first signs things are going south is an inability to enjoy my quilting. Creativity seems to be the first casualty of depression.

As for rotary cutters, I use the one that shuts automatically when you put it down. It also has a locking button. Best of both worlds, IMHO!
Old 06-27-2023, 10:49 AM

I'll add my pat on the back for your fighting back on the depression. My hubby installed an intercom since l'm in the basement and his office is 2 floors up and his workshop's in another building...and don't hear well ( even with hearing aids). Although it's convenient in many ways, there are also unwanted interruptions..." hey Hon, the dog needs a walk. " " there's someone at the door and l'm in middle of something" .Well shucks! So am l! Then there's " what's for supper" ( it's only 2:30) " is dinner ready yet?" ( it's just past 3)..Then he says " How about a cup of tea?"that's when l answer, " sure hon...l'd love one" 🤣 🤭
Old 06-27-2023, 07:34 PM

I love all the stories from everyone! It makes me feel less alone that I goofed so much, LOL.

I'm glad to see that the trends regarding mental health and its importance has started to shift to a more positive approach, but I still think we are a long way from completely fixing it. My problem with waiting until almost the last minute was because the last time I went to a doctor about my depression, no matter how many times I told him that my side effects were getting worse and worse, he kept increasing the dose. I finally had enough and didn't go back to him, stopped taking it completely, went through withdrawals on my own and never went back because I felt that the next doctor would do the same. I was so scared when I went to my new doctor, but she was wonderful, we were in the room for a solid two hours just talking about everything and when it came time to talk about my depression, she was very attentive, even held my hand and hugged me when I cried and immediately put me on Cymbalta because I have so much chronic pain and said she would get in touch with the clinic's counselor as soon as she could so I could start talking to someone. What makes it even better is she's allowing me to make the decision on when we should increase the dosage and I have even started a medical journal to keep track of things that come up. Personally, I think that if we had more doctors like her, things would be a lot easier for the majority of people who suffer in silence. I'm due to see her again soon, I think she'll be happy to know that I'm quilting again :-)

I'm thinking about calling my corner "Seventy-two Feet of Joy" - because that's about how much I have all told. It's really tiny and eventually, we'll be converting the entire dining room into my sewing room, but we still have a lot of work to do. I'm looking at getting a used Juki because none of my machines now can handle the quilts I have when it comes to actually quilting them, so I'm going to need some room, not to mention a clear corner next to one of my load bearing walls to handle the weight. We started a kitty last month, I'm up to about $140, the one I saw on Ebay is roughly $300, so I'm almost half way there already. I know by the time I get the money saved, the machine may be gone, but at least I know what I'm looking for, so when one does become available, I can grab it up, quick. I'm really excited.
Old 06-29-2023, 01:46 AM

Not exactly the same but I have spent the last 2 days ripping out an entire row\pass of longarm quilting- it was nested and looped some kinda crazy on the back. Which then of course, screwed up the way it laid on the rails and that had to be fixed. Ugh
Old 06-29-2023, 05:24 AM

Many, many years ago, I was struggling with anxiety and depression. My father, with whom I was very close, died suddenly at the age of 51. That depressed me beyond words. Two years later, my cousin died of the same thing at the age of 41 - and we found out that there were other such young deaths in past generations. Long story short, there are genetic ties, which made me incredibly anxious on top of the depression.

I went to therapy, which was very difficult for me as I'd been raised to pull myself up by my bootstraps, so to speak, and we surely never talked about feelings! Even then, i continued to resist using any medication.

After almost a year of this, my psychiatrist finally asked me if I would be so reluctant to take medication if I had diabetes, or a heart condition, or ... any number of physical ailments. I said no, of course not. He pointed out that depression and anxiety are no different than other illnesses that we accept treatment through drugs for, but there is a stigma around taking something to help with anything that is considered to be a mental illness.

I started taking an antidepressant right after that. Side effects made it hard at first - many actually increase anxiety until the body gets used to them. I had to literally force myself to take it the first week or two.

After a couple of years, I stopped taking it and thought all was well. I didn't even realize I had changed until one of my daughters said, "Mom, you don't smile anymore". Yikes. Back on I went, and I now realize I'll probably take something for it for the rest of my life. It's a very small dose now, a maintenance dose if you will, but if needed, I can have it increased.

No shame. My brain doesn't make/use some of the chemicals needed, so I'm supplementing with a prescription. If that's what someone is going to judge me on, they aren't worth being part of my life anyhow.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:59 PM

Rff1010 - That is still relatable - I had an issue in the beginning with one of my older machines and I probably spent the better part of an afternoon ripping, then realigning, then sewing, then ripping, then realigning - it's a vicious cycle. I don't have a longarm, but I can only imagine just how frustrating it was.

peaceandjoy - No shame. My brain doesn't make/use some of the chemicals needed, so I'm supplementing with a prescription. If that's what someone is going to judge me on, they aren't worth being part of my life anyhow...

That's how it should always be. I let my closest people know what I'm taking but everyone else can take a hike if they don't understand. Side effects for the Cymbalta has been manageable, I have some muscle stiffness sometimes, also get a weird headache on the occasion. The dry mouth is making me drink a lot of water, but the way I see it, that's a very good thing and it's helped me with the early morning shaking I get. I drink eight ounces right before bed, then before I even put my feet down on the floor in the morning, I drink another eight ounces. Granted, I have to get up at night at some point, but I'll take an early morning bathroom trip over the trembling any day of the week.