Help!

Old 07-05-2023, 11:41 AM

I wouldn’t trim the front, add whatever you need around the backing and then quilt some in the border and those stitches will camouflage your added fabric on the backing. I recently made that pattern as well, nice job!
Old 07-05-2023, 01:09 PM

First of all, congratulations on the great grand baby! I have had this problem too. I solved it by adding a wider binding. I still sewed it on with a 1/4 inch seam, on the front, then folded the binding to the back, covering the too narrow backing, and hand stitched it down.

Now I'm going to look for rat tail quilt binding.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:34 PM

I agree with those who suggest finishing it as is. The baby won't notice and will in no way be harmed by it.

How I think of my quilting errors: A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but in the end it turns out pretty good.

Enjoy your new great grand!
Old 07-05-2023, 04:09 PM

Cute, kid friendly, quilt. Kids love variety. Add any of the colors of fabric in the quilt for that small part you need and don't worry about it not being matchy, matchy all the way around. If you want, you could add a similar small amount on the opposite side of the quilt and it will look like you planned and designed it that way.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:30 PM

I'm with Granny Cheechee & GingerK. Just finish with a wider binding. In stead of hand sewing the binding on the back use Elmer's to "baste" it & use a decorative stitch to sew it down.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:01 AM

I agree with GingerK. You don't have much to cover on the back so I'd cut the binding wider, use the usual 1/4" seam with plenty to fold to the back to cover what you came up short. Then hand stitch it down. The binding will simply be wider on the back and looks like you intended it that way!
Old 07-06-2023, 06:26 AM

you might try facing the edge instead of binding or using rattail cord. (Using rattail makes the edge a little stiff which you might not want on a baby quilt.)

Facing a quilt edge is just like facing a neckline in a garment - make the strip wide enough to stitch to the front, turn to the back and still have an inch or more on the back. This leaves a knife edge on the quilt - not a real binding, but covers a lot of area in the back. Plenty of videos on line about facing a quilt (or garment neckline.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:13 AM

Thank you all for your help! I wound up sewing a tiny piece on the backing to try to make up the difference. It is noticeable on back, but not too bad.
Then I sewed binding to front and hand-sewed to back. I didn't want to lose my star points, and after all the problems, I didn't trust myself to machine bind it.
Not really happy with the binding...probably should have went with the star-colored fabric like I was thinking, but I thought I wanted a more muted binding. All in all, I would have done a bunch of things different, but it's done except for clipping threads and trying to work out some of the puckers.
I definitely need more practice....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fletcher's quilt.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	644675  
Old 07-06-2023, 06:31 PM

I think it looks sweet and I'm sure it will be much appreciated. :-)
Old 07-06-2023, 06:57 PM

Your great grandbaby is sure to have hours of cuddling in this, good for you for figuring it out!